Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

carb flooding

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 10:19 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default carb flooding

Ok. Got the lines ran to the carb and pulled the cord a few times then the cylinder get full of gas and hydrolocks. Took the carb off and the float seem to be fine.

Old 09-15-2013, 11:24 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

If you have the lines correctly routed to the fuel pump and if you haven't rebuilt the carb,probably why it's flooding the crank case. Needle and seat could be leaking past the float assembly. 1003-0083 - ATV Complete Carb Rebuild Kits Polaris 98-02 Scrambler 500 2x4/4x4 | ATV Parts | MFG Supply

Old 09-15-2013, 02:28 PM
Trailblazer

Does the large needle in the middle of the carb leak somehow? Its letting in a lot of gas with only about 10 pulls.

Old 09-15-2013, 06:03 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Look at this example on carb cleaning,explains the basics on carb tear down and assembly. The needle and seat (needle valve assembly) is usually the main problem when it wears and can flood the carb bowl even if the float arm is set properly. You don't say what year model you have,but this is just a basic Mikuni cv carb that's used on a KTM,similar to the later model Polaris cv carbs.The BST-40 Bible - ADVrider

Old 09-15-2013, 06:13 PM
Trailblazer

Sorry I have a 2001 scrambler 500. I know the basics of most carbs just never had one flood so bad. I ordered the rebuild kit you mentioned. Whats the proper way to set the float?

Old 09-15-2013, 06:17 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Look at the link I posted above shows this same picture on float adjustment along with other operations of this carb.You have the BST 40 carb.

Attached Thumbnails carb flooding-2471649347_b2a1a773d6.jpg  
Old 09-15-2013, 06:25 PM
Trailblazer

Thank you kind sir!

Old 09-19-2013, 07:42 PM
Trailblazer

Little update. Rebuilt the carb and it STILL floods the motor! Float is adjusted perfectly. Only thing I noticed is where the choke threads into the carb, the other side is just open and looks like a pice is broke off from the outside. I think theres supposed the be a pipe or something on the outside but its broke off but that still wouldnt cause it to flood like it does.

Old 09-19-2013, 07:51 PM
Trailblazer

Does the bowl hold the plastic part that the float is attached to cause mine pulls out Very easy like the little o-ring doesnt really hold it in place too well.

Old 09-20-2013, 04:23 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Right side on the carb has a vent tube nipple at the top and also an angled nipple at the bottom where the fuel pump vacuum line goes. Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse If the small brass transfer line is damaged/missing,then yes it can cause flooding and the carb would need to be replaced. Yes the bowl itself holds pressure against the float assembly. If the float is not set perfectly,if the bowl isn't holding enough pressure against the float,or the needle and seat o-ring wasn't replaced or the wrong size,this carb can flood.On ones that I've replaced everything including floats,gaskets,needle valves,etc,I've still had a few that would drip out of the over flow tube on occasion just from vibration.O-rings seem to be the common problem. These are metric o-rings and in some aftermarket kits(not all) they may not be the exact replacement equivalent. And I've even rummaged through my metric o-ring assortment at the shop experimenting with different ones without much success..

Quick Reply: carb flooding