Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Well I'm in deep on this project...HELP...long

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 08:37 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Well I'm in deep on this project...HELP...long

Its one thing after another. spent about $3600 so far and its not stopping very frustrating.

Back story 06 800 sportsman developed a loss of power and loud knocking. Almost bought a Clymers manual and honestly looked to be more than I could tackle. Im mechanically inclined just a major engine tear doen without the right tools didnt sound fun. The oil was dark but not out of ordinary, then I noticed a hole worn in dipstick tubing that could easily allow dirt and water in. Sooooooo
new crank shaft with bearings, whatever else goes with that. Now I was certain that the dirt getting in there caused the failure but later found out the motor mounts were bad and allowed for to much play in the engine alignment and since the tranny is bolted separately it stayed firm and caused torque on the bearings.
Now this is where taking it to a shop for some sort of service and a once over would have saved money. the motor mounts are about $30 each and maybe an hour labor. Grrrrrrr Could it have been prevented?? I truly think so.

Then the rear end was not playing well the bike was very hard to push and the fluid had a grey tint, the bike sat for over a year, so had them check it too and needed a whole new rearend at $1500 because Polaris no longer makes individual gears and parts they sell the whole thing for this year or years models. That in, new rear U-joint, 2 new Rear wheel bearings, new filter, belt and some new shoes and I picked it up "naked" on friday morning for a weekend at "Redneck Yacht Club" as I was really looking forward to riding it since its been over a year. Drive it into the back of my truck at shop, take my big heavy box of parts from the shop and go home to pack the trailer and go. I needed a new battery too it wouldn't take a charge. I drive it off the truck, onto the trailer, off the trailer at camp, was late after getting camp all set up and would put the plastics on in the morning, along with the new belt and drain the front diff since everything else was cleaned or new.
Drive it under the canopy since it was 90 degrees at 830am in SW Fla, put it all together, and with the final touch an old fishing rod with a cool bra hanging from it for some character.

Everyone is ready, all gassed up and no power whatsoever OMG
spend the next few hrs taking the plastics off, clean the ground on the frame, check all cables, wires, fuses and absolutely no power. Now at this time i'm hot, sweaty, 6'4" 230# firefighter that really wanted to hide and cry i was so pissed. I dropped about 3600 on friday and now something new.

So a friend had his friend bring a test light and there was good connections from the battery to the ignition, to wherever else he tested.Battery read 13 ish volts. I tried replacing the 4 fuses and no change. so he took a wire , put it on the + then rigged my back up lights switch as a kill switch when he got the ignition to finally come on. So I turn the switch on, crank it up normally but have to use the switch to turn it off. Fine ill ride like that for the weekend, Now its 4pm on saturday and I'm finally able to ride. Go around I hear weird noises from front and the 4x4 wont engage. So im thinking maybe the roller cage cracked or something and didnt want to cause anymore damage so back to camp to park it. I was just done at this time, all that money and time for 15 mins of riding.

So now its in the garage "Naked" again took the front diff out and cleaned it perfectly, some dark sediment was all over and may not have allowed the oil that I put in that morning to work properly since they are finicky about that. put 7.5mls or so of Demand fluid, checked bearings on axles they are fine, changed the front wheel bearings since I had them accessible and now going over electrical. the 2 other U-joints lubed and not sloppy. Have not put it completely together to check 4x4 but im certain it was the dark residue that didnt allow it to work.

I did find the 4 fuse block that sits on top of frame has corrosion and fuses are loose fitting so im leaning toward that whole assembly with about 16 wires coming off of it as a culprit, but I really want to clean all connections so me and then the shop if needed can have a good look. I want to change that whole block out, just havent looked up the part.

What else would not allow any power???
Any thing else to look at that you guys may have ran across?? I'm hoping its something I can replace but I know chasing electrical gremlins is a difficult task.

I should have a brand new bike here soon and only thing left to buy is a clutch kit and 2" lift kit that I know about. Obviously those are secondary to having the darn thing running.

I appreciate any info, thank you.

Lesson learned????? suck it up and pay a shop the $200 or so once a year for a fluid change even if you do your own stuff.

Old 09-15-2013, 10:27 PM
Pro Rider

Sorry to hear of all your troubles. It can get expensive if there is much work to be done, no doubt. I cant really help because I have never messed with a Polaris and wiring can definitely be a pain and is pretty model specific usually, but keep us posted if you figure it out.

Old 09-15-2013, 10:38 PM
Trailblazer

send a message to old Polaris tech, hes great with problems with Polaris ANYTHING. let him know about everything and hell help u out.

Old 09-16-2013, 10:18 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

As far as the fuse block itself,it's only offered with the harness assembly.http://www.cyclepartswarehouse.com/f...2006&fveh=5687 Sometimes if the wiring is screwed up enough it's better just to replace the harness and not have to spend hours dealing with wiring problems and shorts.

Old 09-19-2013, 07:31 PM
Range Rover

Ok cleaned everything electrical and the only thing I found was the fuse block having corroded tabs, so I tightened (squeezed) them and it worked fine. But it's not how I want to leave it, so why can't I just remove the block and replace each individual with an inline fuse??? Or perhaps get a marine fuse block.

And now my front diff is not getting power and I think the wire is bad where it inserts and looks almost impossible to fix. Yay

Thanks

Old 09-20-2013, 04:16 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

You can change the fuse set up if you wish to individual water resistant rubber fuse connections that may help and get rid of the fuse block.This block was nothing but trouble even for the machines that weren't exposed to mud/water.If the front diff wiring is damaged past the outer sealing grommet into the diff itself,then that's a different story.