Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Scrambler 500 4x4 Owners, Please Read

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2001, 08:39 AM
cdk
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, I am wanting a fourwheeler that will be a dual-purpose fourwheeler. I am wanting something that I can ride around in the mountains with and get me to some of my hunting stands, and I am also wanting a sporty-type quad to ride with friends in the fields and riding areas around here. I think I have narrowed it down to a Scrambler 500 4x4 with the optional rear rack installed. I need to hear from owners though of this quad, since it is a four stroke does it putt-putt around good without any problems? Can you ride the mountain trails? Does your transmission slip when it gets wet? Is it very fast on the sporty side? Any other thoughts or suggestions? Thanks for any help.

Old 03-28-2001, 10:21 AM
Trailblazer

I love my Scram! To our suprise, the rear rack looks pretty good. We ride mostly with Warriors,300ex,blasters and other "true" sport quads. Never had any problems keeping up! The 4x4 option is a great thing to have when everyone else is pulling themselves out of a mud pit and you just cruise trough! As for the speed, I'm right behind the 400ex!! Never had a problem!!

Old 03-28-2001, 10:25 AM
Pro Rider

Good choice sounds like you are going to get the perfect ATV for your needs. I have gone mudding with some Scramblers and they do very well in the slow technical stuff, they do not seem to mind not having low range, I am sure Polaris compensated for them not having low range. The 500 should have plenty of slow speed torque and when you want to tear it up it will do that too. In the real slick going you will leave others behind.

Old 03-28-2001, 11:04 AM
Trailblazer

Chris,

Sounds like you have done your homework. I too was looking for the same thing. I narrowed it down to a Scrambler and a Wolverine. Then I compared costs to what I was getting. I thought I was getting a lot more with the Scrambler for only a few hundred dollars more in cost. Stop talking and go buy one.

Old 03-28-2001, 12:10 PM
Trailblazer

I GOT MY SCRAM 500 4X4 A MONTH AGO. AND HAD THE SAME DELIMA YOU HAD (HUNTING, SPEED, MOUNTAINS, ETC.) IVE HAD IT IN SNOW, LT. SAND, HARD ROCKY AREAS ITS BEEN GREAT SO FAR, I JUST HAVENT FIGURED OUT HOW TO PULL A WHEELIE WITH THE BEAST. I GOT IT FOR THE WIFE SO SHE CAN PLAY AND HAUL THE KID WITHOUT HAVING TO SHIFT SO FAR I LIKE IT TO.

Old 03-28-2001, 08:34 PM
Range Rover

Cant pull a wheelie on a Scrambler 500?! Come on its a piece of cake. You can hold the brake, give it a little throttle and then let both go and youll be on your way. After you get the hang of that youll find you can pull wheelies without the brake trick. And as far as the original post the Scrambler is the right machine for what you want. CT 00 Scram 500

Old 03-28-2001, 09:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

I've had my scrambler for about 2 1/2 months now. The only problem i had was the taillight went out and i think that was my fault. The first day i got it i was trying to pull a wheelie and had my right knee on the seat and when it came up my foot knocked the tailight loose. As far as mudding goes, the other day i went right through where a stock grizzly just got stuck in front of me. But let me tell you, be prepared to get muddy. Dang that thing will cover your butt. I love my scrambler, it is not great at anything. But it is good at everything. It has good speed, handling, great 4x4(not 3 1/2), and does everything that i need to do. If you can't wheelie it there is something wrong w/ it. Just sit way back on the seat, or put one knee on the seat, hold the left handlebar brake, give it gas untill it almost starts spinning and then goose it. It is easy to wheelie a long way because there is no changing gears!!!

Old 03-30-2001, 09:39 AM
cdk
Weekend Warrior

thanks goes out to everyone for repling...looks like a Scrambler is in my future.

Old 03-30-2001, 01:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

I've got to put my .02 in. Why not the sportsman 500. It is a very good workhorse and also is suprisingly sporty. Only drawback is it's size which may make is less nimble in the woods (tight trail riding).