Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sportsman 500 extended warranty

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 01:45 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportsman 500 extended warranty

Hi there,

Well recently I purchased a Sportsman 500, which I am using for work and personal use. This was my first purchase in life which required me to apply for credit, basically making the most expensive thing that I have ever bought. I was not too familiar with the whole process and I was wondering if someone could tell me if the price that I am paying for extended warranty is too much.

The 2013 Sportsman 500 came out to $7400 after taxes and upgrades, and during the process of completing the paper work, I feel like I was rushed through with signing the extended warranty and misled. I am being a charged a price of $1800 for the 3 year for "extra coverage" which covers engine, turbocharger, trans, transfer case, primary/sec driving components, drive axle, chain case component, oil injection, cooling system, steering, brakes, electrical, fuel system, front and rear suspension and track drive.

Is this a normal price and is it worth it? The reason why I went with the Polaris was I was very happy with the price and I had great reviews from a co-worker who has owned Polaris's for years and said he wouldn't come into any sort of issues until at least 1.5years+ down the road. As I mentioned, I use my ATV for work, ride it with care but use it basically out in the bush. I will also be paid a pro-rated rate once I have paid off the full price of my ATV, which I plan on being done in about 3 months. I also live in AB Canada if that helps.

Thanks for any info guys!

Old 11-15-2013, 06:23 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Don't know,but sounds high to me as most of our extended warranties down here through GE were around $900 for 3 years that covered the basic power train and other items.Common wear items such as suspension,tires,brake pads,etc weren't covered. Sounds like this dealer may have sold you the most expensive plan available. Dealers make a "HEFTY" profit out of these high $ plans. You should have a time limit after purchase to alter/cancel any extended warranty,at least we were able to at the shop. "Turbo charger",then yes you have a top tier plan that's not need imo especially for a Sportsman 500. The engine itself is bullet proof if it's take care of it.Front drive systems and electrical problems were the most common problems especially if an efi machine. Extended warranties are the same as insurance. Good if you have any major problem,but a lot of people cuss em when not needed and have the extra charge they have to pay for.But then again you're in Canadian dollars and use it for work.

Old 11-15-2013, 07:12 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

My sportsman is a 2001 and it never had close to $1800 worth of work or parts in the 7years I have owned it and it has 4,200 miles.

If $1800 is needed in only 3 years, then you bought a lemon or have very , very bad luck.

One good tip about the Sportsman is use silicone and/or small hose clamp to seal pull rope handle over recoil. If the handle moves out of place water gets down the rope hole and their are many expensive parts inside that do not like to swim.

Are you buying it now and using it in the winter? Many people make the mistake in Canada and buy a new ATV in the late fall and the short standard 6 month warranty runs out while the machine sits in storage.
Aleast the 6 month warranty should find any bugs if it has any.

Old 11-15-2013, 12:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

I will be using it for most of the winter, and it will be sitting on my truck outside most of the time. I am going to try and fix my shed so I can back my truck under that so not too much weather damage is done to it.

I thought that the $1800 seemed very high, as its a brand new ATV and how much could go wrong with it? As I said, I take care of it and drive it like hows its worth, which isn't too crazy. I do have a 1 month cancellation on the EW and I bought it on Oct 25 so I am still able to cancel it. Thanks for the info so far guys!

Old 11-15-2013, 12:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by TLC
My sportsman is a 2001 and it never had close to $1800 worth of work or parts in the 7years I have owned it and it has 4,200 miles.

If $1800 is needed in only 3 years, then you bought a lemon or have very , very bad luck.

One good tip about the Sportsman is use silicone and/or small hose clamp to seal pull rope handle over recoil. If the handle moves out of place water gets down the rope hole and their are many expensive parts inside that do not like to swim.

Are you buying it now and using it in the winter? Many people make the mistake in Canada and buy a new ATV in the late fall and the short standard 6 month warranty runs out while the machine sits in storage.
Aleast the 6 month warranty should find any bugs if it has any.

If I went into any hardware store, should I be able to find a basic small hose clamp to put on the pull rope?

Old 11-15-2013, 12:29 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

I just Silicone mine on but a small Dia. hose clamp would be insurance as well. Any hardware store will have it.

Not even sure if the newer SP500s have a pull rope back up any longer.

Old 11-15-2013, 03:22 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by willandy14
If I went into any hardware store, should I be able to find a basic small hose clamp to put on the pull rope?
If you have a 2013 Sportsman 500 you wont have a recoil starter to mess with,you'll have a "flywheel cover" as it's called. They stopped using these after the 2008 models.Plus since you have time I'd cancel this expensive policy or get one more realistic for what you may need.

Attached Thumbnails Sportsman 500 extended warranty-11500efi.jpg  
Old 11-15-2013, 03:27 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
If you have a 2013 Sportsman 500 you wont have a recoil starter to mess with,you'll have a "flywheel cover" as it's called. They stopped using these after the 2008 models.Diagram of Polaris ATV Parts 2011 A11MH50AX-AZ SPORTSMAN 500 HO ENGINE, FLYWHEEL COVER Diagram
Even better.