Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Trail Boss 330 Carb Removal

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 12:18 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Ecm would still be my best guess if you've eliminated everything else. They used to have a main 20 amp circuit breaker in a sealed pouch,but the ecm incorporates this now.Could be the internal circuit breaker of the ecm is shorting out. And yes even the Pure Polaris Parts Catalog list the replacement ecm as #4011831. If your module is black,it's Chinese. Replacements were silver colored, American made Sure Power models and even those can fail.

Old 11-22-2013, 01:21 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Ecm would still be my best guess if you've eliminated everything else.
I haven't really eliminated anything other than the battery. As you can see in the video it is getting power because the neutral light is illuminating. I don't think its the starter because I can't get it to pull start either. Other odd thing is the headlights wont turn on. Sometimes they will flash quickly when switched on, but that's it.

Are there any other steps I can take to verify it is indeed the ECM before I throw serious money at it? I doubt buying a used ECM would be a good idea if they fail often.

As far as the current ECM, it is a silver made in the USA Sure Power, but it does have a different part number than what is listed:

Old 11-22-2013, 02:53 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Yes, you have the later model US made module since you have a 2007 model,but doesn't mean they're perfect by any means. I've replaced several of these from later year models that weren't on the original recall of 2004/2005 Chinese ecms. I'd check connections from the ignition switch and left control switch along with all ground wires including the main ground from the battery to the starter mounting bolt. You can ohm the ignition switch wiring out and trace the left control switch wiring that enters under the front panel for any shorts that could be causing the problem. If these check out and you decide to bite the bullet and get an ecm,don't buy a used one from Ebay! Plus here's a pdf service manual that can help. Look at 10.6,shows the ecm and some of it's functions along with the wiring diagram on the last page.http://gh-ftp.com/ORV%20Manuals/Pola...l%20Boss/2003/

Old 11-22-2013, 03:22 PM
Trailblazer

I will test those things first, although you are probably right with it being the ECM. The light turning off after five seconds led me to believe it might be a circuit breaker of some sort, but I think I read somewhere that the breaker is internal to the ecm as well..

Old 11-23-2013, 09:38 PM
Trailblazer
Unhappy Bad ECM confirmed:

Yes, you have the later model US made module since you have a 2007 model,but doesn't mean they're perfect by any means.
Well OPT, I am pretty sure judging by the photo below you will agree it is definitely without a doubt a bad ECM.

Now, should I just assume it was faulty and bound to fail, or are them some diagnostics I can perform to double check for other problems and prevent this type of catastrophic failure from occurring to the new ECM?

Old 11-24-2013, 07:30 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Kinda obvious on this one.Wouldn't bother on trying to find out why it failed. Bad idea in the first place to have the charging circuit,fan circuit,light relay,starter lock out and the main circuit breaker,etc all in one box. Hopefully the pics will show others what can happen even on the good old USA made modules! I replaced so many of these modules in place of the crappy Chinese ecms during the recall of 2005 and thought that would be the end of it since they were made here. As they started coming back in I finally realized it didn't matter where they were made. They should say on the module "Made in the USA,but subject to fail at any time"

Old 11-25-2013, 07:45 PM
Trailblazer

GREAT NEWS! Just got this information today: Yes, this part is on backorder currently - with an ETA of 12/13/2013. It has been on backorder from end of September, and Polaris keeps pushing the date out. Hopefully they will have more in December.

I also have a question about this:
Bad idea in the first place to have the charging circuit,fan circuit,light relay,starter lock out and the main circuit breaker,etc all in one box.
I noticed on the diagram you linked me to: TRAIL BOSS 330 - ELECTRICAL
That item #2 is a blank box in the corner of the diagram and listed as a "KIT-CIRCUT BREAKER,FAN #2201795"

Is this something that came from the factory, or is this an afterthought "kit" to isolate the fan circuit from the ECM?

Old 11-25-2013, 08:26 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

No this is factory. You should have a plastic sealed pouch with a 10 amp circuit breaker inside. It's used on a lot of different models even with out an ecm. On other models it supplies power to the fan motor and the radiator sensor provides the ground path and when temp is reached the sensor closes sending a ground signal to the fan completing the circuit which kicks the fan motor on. On the ecm models this breaker sends power to the internal fan relay and from there to the fan.This is just one of the ecms functions.

Old 11-25-2013, 09:12 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the clarification and all the help OPT. I will let you know if it all works out when and if I get my new ECM from Polaris....

Old 12-30-2013, 01:21 PM
Trailblazer

Anyone have an inside hook-up on an ECM?
Polaris part #4011831

I was told that I had a backorder placed and the part would be shipped out 12/13 from Polaris and shipped to me 12/18, but I just found out that they didn't receive enough to fulfill their orders and now Polaris has no ETA on additional units!

I tried contacting another vendor and received this email back:

Polaris 4011831 is on backorder once again. We just received a batch, but it already sold out, and Polaris is currently not showing an ETA on these.
If you place a backorder, you have better odds of getting it faster, because these do sell out every time Polaris releases more.

I just want to take my daughter out on the quads before her winter break is over!

Quick Reply: Trail Boss 330 Carb Removal