Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

grinds/clunks going into gear

Old 12-23-2013, 01:51 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default grinds/clunks going into gear

`02 Sportsman 500. Never had one before to compare. Didn`t think about it much before (figured it normal), but now that shifting back and forth is the norm for plowing it`s bugging me. Don`t think it will idle any slower so I`m asking for comments on weather it`s possible to have no clunk or grind when shifting into gear. No other problems with it.

Old 12-23-2013, 02:43 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

If it creeps on you also after you have it in gear,could be the belt is riding on the front clutch causing the rear clutch to turn constantly. This is hard on the belt,make shifting hard and can grind going into gear. If you're sure the idle is low,usually around 1080-1100 rpms,this could be the problem. Seems like 2002 and 2003 model 500s were the worst on this as I had to shim a lot of rear clutches out to align them so the belt would run straight in the middle of the front clutch one way bearing and not touch the inner sheath. You can pull the clutch cover and in neutral see if the rear clutch is turning along with the front clutch at an idle.It should be stationary or just try to turn occasionally. If it is turning this could be your problem. One other thing it could be is a worn fiber and brass washer in the front clutch one way causing the belt to slide over and touch the inner clutch sheath. Check one on side to side play. If more than .020 clearance,washers may need to be replaced also. #2 and 18 on the parts break down. Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse

Old 12-25-2013, 05:33 AM
Trailblazer

It doesn`t creep. I`m planning on getting a new belt and washers. What do you use to check engine rpm?

Old 12-25-2013, 06:03 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

On the older ones without a tachometer,just use your ears on idle adjustment. A low steady idle is normally good enough. If you plan on replacing the clutch washers you will have to have a spider tool to separate the clutch sheaths.http://www.ebay.com/itm/POLARIS-SPIDER-CLUTCH-TOOL-96-10-SPORTSMAN-500-4X4-6X6-RSE-HO-DUSE-EFI-TOURING-/370855492077?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5658b5b9ed&vxp=mtrIf you don't have a manual here's a 5 buck service manual that can help.http://polaris-atv.brssm.com/2002-Po...ce-Manual.html

Old 12-25-2013, 10:10 AM
Trailblazer

OK, so I should start looking for special tools or farm it out. I know one guy who has the puller for the primary clutch. Ever try a vibra-tach? I know a small engine mechanic who showed me a similar tool for checking rpm. Vibratach found another on amazon
CyberTech Digital Photo Tachometer Non Contact Tach bundle CyberTech Cable Tie: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific CyberTech Digital Photo Tachometer Non Contact Tach bundle CyberTech Cable Tie: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
don`t know where it would be practical to put the reflector tape

Old 12-25-2013, 05:45 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

For one time use tools such as the spider tool probably just as easy to borrow your buddys clutch puller,take it in and have someone rebuild the front clutch if repair is needed.Choice is up to you if don't think you'd ever have to tear it down again.Idle isn't that big of a deal! If you have it at a low idle and the rear clutch is turning,this is probably the reason for the gear clash. Just take the clutch cover off and look at the clutches before you do anything.Could possibly just need the rear clutch shimmed out to align with the front clutch so the belt will run center of the front clutch.I had to do this more than anything else.