Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Expedition Owners...

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2001, 01:36 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to buy a second ATV this spring and I'm leaning toward an Expedition 425(ps my wife don't know this yet so shhh ). I want to get another 400 class machine and I like this one because of the Polaris 4x4. My worry here is (not to start a war) the reputation for Polaris's less than stellar record for mechanical durability. So hopefully some Exp owners maybe can tell me how this quad has been service wise and maybe how is sizes up with speed and acceleration. Also what problems maybe particular to this model (eg Kodiaks had alot of leaky water pumps). Thanks Polaris guys.

Old 03-29-2001, 02:20 AM
Trailblazer

What attracts you to the 425? The Expedition is Polaris Industries least popular model(and least likely to suceed model), and is most likely to be discontinued. Why would you burdon yourself with an such an albatross? Are you a complete newbie?

The Expedition may be a thinking man's machine but it is a maketing flop. Just like the King Quad and the Arctic Cat 400.

If you want a "stick shift" Buy the Honda 450 S argueably the best 5 speed 4x4 on the market. Be prepared for tougher steering, but I would stay away from the Expedition which is rumored to be discontinued.

Old 03-29-2001, 06:47 AM
Trailblazer

Victory- it would appear (after reading your rather opinionated reviews) that you have undoubtedly done extensive research of the polaris xpedition. otherwise your comparisons would be based solely on hearsay, and therefor not a very good source of information for someone trying to find credible reviews from owners of an atv they are considering purchasing. i hate to be rude, but i found your reply rather annoying and unhelpful.
having said that, hillhound, i can honestly tell you i have never ridden the honda 433cc fourtrax. but i own a y2k xpedition, and really do think it is a strong contender in the 400 class. the main features i enjoy are the in & out 4 wheel drive, liquid cooling system, and smooth shifting manual transmission. for the money i don't think you would be disappointed with polaris, but don't let a few opinions sway you too far either way. go out and ride the full time four wheel drive big bear and honda, then make your decision. hope some of this has been helpful.

Old 03-29-2001, 10:05 AM
Trailblazer

I've put about a 1000 miles on mine, & the only problem was the front springs. I replaced them with heavier springs. The machine runs good, & hasn't let me down yet. I have heard Polaris may dis-continue this model, but I wouldn't let that bother you if you like the machine. Parts shouldn't be a problem, even if they dis-continue the model.

Old 03-29-2001, 01:03 PM
Range Rover

Thanks for the comments so far, guys. My Kodiak also has in/out 4x4 and I don't think I'd ever be without that. DJ good pics on the Ontario trails. Is that a beaver dam along the side of that waterhole?

Old 03-29-2001, 01:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

I personally don't own any quad right now , but my friend that got me into ATV'ing bought a 2k xpedition 425. He loves it, puts it through a good amount of abuse and it keeps going. I have rode the Xpediton 425 (and 325) and if I had the money to afford a quad the 425 is what I would be getting. I have not ridden the Hondas because all the Honda dealers around here don't allow test riding before you buy.

I found one great dealer that lets me take them out all the time (Shameless plug http://www.teixeirainc.com/ - If anyone is near Hyde park, NY)

Old 03-29-2001, 02:11 PM
Pro Rider

The 425 Xpedition is one of the tougher Polaris models made, all the reviews I have read have basically said it is bulletproof. And has one of the smoothest shifting trannys on the market. I have rode the 450s Foreman and there is no comparison of the two. yeah the Honda runs good and all that but the ride is so much better on the Xpedition, it has more power, I guess it being liquid as opposed to air cooled has something to do with it. The 4x4 system of the Polaris is well documented as being superior to the Honda system. Parts will not be a problem as they all share allot of the same components.

Old 03-29-2001, 03:10 PM
Pro Rider

I have owned my 2000 polaris xpedition 425 cc 5-speed now for 2 years. It's a fantastic quad.
strong points:
1. considered by some and by me to be one of the if not the toughest utility quads on the market.
2. Even though its 400 class atv. It is so good that it plays with the big boys, i.e. 500 and 600 class atv's. Top speed 57 mph. possible.
3. the smoothest 5 speed shift on the market.
4. Smooth comfortable ride.
5. very good power
6. In 2 years, I have never walked out of the woods. Thats not a bad record.
7. Its a very attractive looking atv.
8. It has the same polaris famous AWD system that any other polaris 4x4 has.
9. Shaft drive system., 4-stroke(quiet) less polution, liquid cooled.

Draw backs:
It does not have as much clearance as the sp 500 series polaris atv.

I love my xpedition. I am not sorry I bought it.
Im having a blast with it.

Its reputation among many and most of the xpedition owners that for the most part "WE ALL
LOVE THE XPEDITION".

I know of one person that sold his xpedition but he bought a ds650 instead and that was jumping ship from a utility atv to a sport atv.

Is it the very best atv on the market. Probably not but it is so high up in so many catagories of concern. that over all, it is near the top. People dont buy 5 speeds because the general public seems to be buying auto's by and large. that does not deminish How good of an atv the xpedition is. You have to own one or have a friend that owns one and lets you drive it, to appreciate what we xpedition owners know!

rangerchet 2000 polaris xpedition 425 cc 5-speed.

27 inch mudbugs with itp magnum billet aluminum rims and aluminum lug nuts.
k&n air filter(same one thats on the sp500)
extended mud skirts.
extended storage bars. with the tamarack utility box that fits nicely inside the rear one.
Progressive lift front springs/cams.
tubular rear bumper. brush guard in front.
2000lb. warn. winch
polaris coffee cup holder. Some misc. stuff.

-rangerchet

Old 03-29-2001, 06:11 PM
Pro Rider

HillHound
Ive had a little bad luck lately with my Xpedition but I would still recommend it to anybody. Some people have had the shift shaft break. Mine broke but it was an easy fix. My stator also went out, now that was an expensive repair but I think mine was a "freak" failure. I havent seen any other reports on these forums about stator failure on the Xpedition.

I like the Polaris AWD system, the ride is probably superior to other 400 class atvs, and I like the size of the quad although I wouldnt mind it being a little lighter.

All in all, the Xpedition 425 is a great quad. Buy one and ride the wheels off of it!

Old 03-29-2001, 06:57 PM
Trailblazer

I also wouldn't worry about much being discontinued, as most Polarises share the same components (Gen IV body, etc.) and the 425 motor is now found in the Sportsman 400. So basically, the only thing that may be discontinued would be the manual tranny, and I'd be quite surprised if Polaris did that, seing as its been rated so well. Look in 4-Wheel ATV Action about 1 year ago, it almost beat the Foreman. The editors noted that if the Foreman did not improve in the coming year, the Xpedition would quite possibly beat the Foreman the next time around.

Quick Reply: Expedition Owners...