Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

CDI, Reverse Override Button or ??????

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 04:53 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question CDI, Reverse Override Button or ??????

Hello, I have 2002 Scrambler 500cc 4X4, I can not figure out which is bad to replace it, the CDI or the Reverse/override button. It seems like I have the same amount of power going forward and in reverse without hitting the reverse/override button. And the AWD is engaged all the time when I back up. Also I has not lights show up on my dash at all, even when I an in neutral or reverse. But last night when I was plowing I was backing up and for some reason the AWD was not engaged when I was backing up, I pushed the reverse/override button and it engaged my AWD and my "R" light on when I pushed the button. Any ideas or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Bryan

Old 01-19-2014, 11:46 PM
Trailblazer

Having gone thru some wiring on my `02 Sportsman my advice is to check on the splice junction of the gray wires first. They are under the hood panel near the harnesses that come out from the handlebars. You do have a wiring diagram?

Old 01-20-2014, 04:44 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Disconnect the black wire from the reverse limiter and see if it helps. Could be shorting out causing intermittent operation and lights. Item 31.Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse
If no change it may be a grounding issue a lot of machines have had on the thin awd wiring.

Old 01-20-2014, 07:06 AM
Weekend Warrior

I'm heading out the door for the day, but will check of those when I get home tonight and let you guys know. Thank you.

And yes, Lowflyer, I do have the wiring diagram. Thank you.

Bryan

Old 01-20-2014, 11:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

Just came back in from farting around with the Scrambler.

I unplugged the black wire and it did not do anything. It was still all the same. But I did notice this evening that while checking some things out that when I press the Override button all the way in it does not connect the 1st and 3rd pins like it should. But when I press the override button in about 1/2 halfway it makes the connection to the 1st & 3rd pins. That's not right, correct? I took the switch apart and cleaned everything inside but it still does the same thing. Anyway to correct this? I don't know how to attach a photo or I would show you a photo of what the switch looked like in side. It looked fine after cleaning it up.

Another thing, I have not had time to check the gear sector switch on the tranny yet.

Old 01-21-2014, 02:12 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Try this:

"Pre 2003 and almost all models that do NOT have the combined override/Speedo function button.

Trace wires from the override button (gray/white & gray/orange) Cut the gray/orange and tape up both ends. Cut the gray/white and tape up the end which goes to the override button. Connect the other end of the gray/white to the red/white (ignition supplied 12v)"

This bypasses the over ride. Plus yes if the gear position switch is faulty, awd/over ride function will be affected also.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

I finally had sometime to do some more probing into my problem. I disconnected the gear selector switch and removed it. There was a small white plastic piece broken inside. I ordered a new gear sensor switch and now I am waiting for it to arrive so I can put it in and keep tracking down my problem.