Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2002 Polaris Magnum Stalling issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 07:19 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 167 Likes on 166 Posts

I've moved this over to the Polaris section. If any one else has input or a similar problem, it will be better over here.

Old 02-09-2014, 03:08 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok..well yet again I got it to finally idle with out the choke being on. After running probably 25-30 minutes it started stalling again. Then it seems like after it warms up it then idles higher. I did add some marine stable to the fuel as directed but there seems to just be an issue when it heats up. Again I'm running it in low temps 26 degrees f today when the problem arrived. Im also just using it to plow snow on these days so there is a lot of starting and stoping and its like I have to feather the gas to keep it from stalling after pushing snow into a pile and getting it from forward into reverse. It also seems hard to shift into gears prob bc of having to switch gears. I did notice it backfired when I got into it backing up today(Aggrivated reverse). This problem is driving me up the wall. Would it be a good place to start by ordering a carb rebuild kit and could it possibly be a float issue? Any info on where to start would be great bc Im tired of dealing with this issue!

Old 02-09-2014, 04:03 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Think the carb kit is the first place to start.Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse Plus if it's been hard to shift gears,could be it needs to have the linkage adjusted as this system does get slack in the shift box and linkage. Gear shift selector needs to be in neutral,loosen the 10mm lock nuts on the linkage ends,remove the linkage arms from the shift box lever and adjust the linkage ends to where they drop straight back into the shift box levers with no resistance. If this doesn't help then you could have worn shift box components. Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse

Old 02-09-2014, 04:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok do you know who sells a kit for a 2002 polaris magnum 500?

Old 02-09-2014, 06:05 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Early Magnum 425 and 500s shared the same carb as the Sportsman 500 until the BST40 came out in 2001 for the Sportsman. This kit will fit your Magnum.New Shindy Carburetor Carb Rebuild Repair Kit for Polaris 425 Magnum 1995 98 | eBay Hard to find a dedicated Magnum 500 carb kit in most places.

Old 02-09-2014, 08:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'm not 100 percent sure but the long spring on the top of the diaphragm wasn't attached to the jet block assembly. Could that be the problem? Or would it have even ran? It was disconnected and coiled up inside the boot

Old 02-09-2014, 08:15 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Slide spring fits over the plastic ring on the needle assy and the other ends sips over the dimple on the inside of the cover. The answer is yes if this spring was out of place the slide wouldn't operate properly from being bound up. http://www.cyclepartswarehouse.com/f...2002&fveh=5577

Old 02-10-2014, 06:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok So I tore the carb apart again, No dirty jets etc but still took the time to thoughly clean it all out. I don't see much wear on any carb parts either. It only has 520hrs on it since new. I realized this and see if this could possibly help with pinpointing the problem by any chance. It runs excellent after its initial warm up of course but after about 30 minutes tonight it dies when I put it from forward to reverse or reverse into forward etc. But if I put it into neutral the idle raises and it runs great. Then if I put it into forward or reverse the idle goes way down and will stall right away or will stall a few moments after its put into forward or reverse. The battery is new but would the winch use up enough battery for it to do that? Would a fuel pump cause that issue even though it runs excellent from initial warm up? Im so stumped and its driving me nuts! I wish you were closer old Polaris tech! I would pay you to take care of this problem that's about to make me pull my hair out!! haha

Old 02-11-2014, 09:58 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Sounds now like you have a problem in the clutches or belt when you place it in gear. Could be that or the limiter module starting to short out. Pull the black wire from the limiter under the front panel and see if this solves the dying problem. Item #31. Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse

Old 02-11-2014, 05:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok I will see how that does possibly tonight. It looks like it's located right in front of the radiator. It had a dark brown wire not black though. Sound correct?

Quick Reply: 2002 Polaris Magnum Stalling issues