Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

central hub vs outboard hubs

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 06:58 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Look at some of the Razr forums and a lot of the happy guys after they updated the roller cage.Anything that man makes can break, especially the guys that drive these things,but if every things right and it locks in it's as strong a system as any out there.

Old 02-13-2014, 07:09 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks OPT! I am a stickler for keeping clean fluid in the front. Eventually, I will do the hilliard upgrade. have 1 1/2 years warranty left.

Old 02-13-2014, 09:17 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Originally Posted by WilliamBos
Thanks OPT! I am a stickler for keeping clean fluid in the front. Eventually, I will do the hilliard upgrade. have 1 1/2 years warranty left.
Might as well blow the stock plastic cage apart first. When they grenade they do not cause extra damage anyways so you have nothing to lose.
You may get lucky and it holds up for years after the warranty.

Our warranties are only 6 months long in Canada.
They get used up as they are parked in the shed for the winter.

Old 02-14-2014, 11:23 AM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!

my sportsman is an 07 and still running on the stock cage after nearly 3k. I don't know if its helped prolong the life but I always engage 4x4 at a stop never in motion even though I know you can. If it ever goes out ill replace it with the aluminum cage.

Old 03-30-2014, 06:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have just replaced the cage on my 08 sportsman 500 with the aluminum one from super ATV. Everything seems fine until i get some torque on the bolts for the cover, then I can no longer turn the prop by hand without using a lever of some sort. To me it seems like it should not be that hard to turn. Also on the parts phish from polaris there is is a "clutch basket spacer" that they say to discard when replacing using their assembly of the sprague carrier. I have tried it with and without this spacer and the result is the same.
I'm open to ideas....

Old 03-31-2014, 10:16 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Shows two different cages from Super atv,don't know if this would be the difference if you got the wrong one.Polaris Sprague Carrier / Front Roller Cage : Polaris : RZR : RZR Accessories Plus spacer as you said is to be removed if you only replace the whole clutch assy which includes the housing. Should stay if you just replace the roller cage.Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse

Old 03-31-2014, 08:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks OPT, I'll keep you posted

Old 04-02-2014, 06:14 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default cage too long

:-->I checked the thrust button and I don't think that this has ever been adjusted, pulled the screw back & pushed in the plate and button, made sure it was all moving freely.
What I did notice though was that the cage is a hair longer than the clutch housing/ ring gear ( pics attached ) I used a straight edge to make sure I was flush on the gear side, first pic. As you can see the sprague carrier extends maybe 1/32" . I am thinking that could be the issue?
Let me know what you all think.

Old 04-04-2014, 05:34 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Part with no name!

Sorry, I had difficulty getting the pics off of my phone and into here. The Length of the cage was NOT the problem. And the techs at Super ATV were a big help. If you are looking at the Polaris parts phishe, the very first part going inside of the diff housing is a bushing maybe 5/8th" wide, and a little more than 3" in diameter and it has no part number. Mine was sticking out or was not flush with the housing which seems to have been causing the binding once putting in the thin spacer and ring gear/ clutch housing. Just a few loving taps using a block and everything went together easily.
I'm waiting on new seals but hopefully this is the end of my story here.

Old 04-04-2014, 10:55 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Probably slipped out a little when you disassembled the front differential. Glad you found the problem. May help others to check for this case bushing when they change cages.

Quick Reply: central hub vs outboard hubs