Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

central hub vs outboard hubs

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 02:03 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What kind of problems show up when you have a cracked cage?

Thanks!

Old 04-07-2014, 06:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

Cracked, I'm not sure.
In my case I had suspected that I had an issue i.e.: didn't seem like I had 4WD.
I knew I had an issue when trying to pull a car in ice & snow, Hooked up, put it in 4WD took up the slack then tried to pull. Back wheels started spinning LOL faster and faster and then WHAA WHAM! Front wheels kicked in, for a minute or maybe a few seconds. 4WD never to be seen again.
When I opened up the differential, if I hadn't known from reading the forums what I was looking for I would not have recognized a "cage" was in there. 1 plastic ring and a bunch of little pieces with metal clips on them.

Old 04-07-2014, 07:28 PM
Trailblazer

having had both and still owning one of each I prefer the centralized hilliard hands down.i agree with readymixer 169.i never flip the awd switch while under acceleration and have never broken anything on my 06 500.im sure with added torque of an 800 or bigger tires its more likely.with that system they both work or they both don't.with the old style it can get dangerous if one locks up and sends u 4 a ride.also the fluid amount is not an exact science and they don't hold very much,so if u develop a leak out on the trail they can empty fast.they are a big hassle when working on axles and spring assemblies also.if all it takes to bullet proof the centralized system is a 150 dollar part its well worth knowing u never will take it apart again.plus u don't have that big ugly hub sticking through your wheel.one last thought is when they do leak its all over your brakes.

Old 04-07-2014, 09:43 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by early454
having had both and still owning one of each I prefer the centralized hilliard hands down.i agree with readymixer 169.i never flip the awd switch while under acceleration and have never broken anything on my 06 500.im sure with added torque of an 800 or bigger tires its more likely.with that system they both work or they both don't.with the old style it can get dangerous if one locks up and sends u 4 a ride.also the fluid amount is not an exact science and they don't hold very much,so if u develop a leak out on the trail they can empty fast.they are a big hassle when working on axles and spring assemblies also.if all it takes to bullet proof the centralized system is a 150 dollar part its well worth knowing u never will take it apart again.plus u don't have that big ugly hub sticking through your wheel.one last thought is when they do leak its all over your brakes.
Kinda have to agree with you on this as I've been "4 a ride" as you said when I had one side lock up at speed.Granted it was on an abused machine,but as you said on the centralized system,awd either works or it doesn't. Shame that it take an after market part or an "optional high performance cage" as Polaris call their aluminum cages that should have been standard on all machines several years ago and not just now on the newer models.Kinda sounds like GM and their "50 cent" fix on ignition switches that they chose to ignore until they got caught.

Old 04-08-2014, 06:31 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

I have good luck with the twin locking hubs.
Nice knowing you have "two strong metal" cages rather then "one weak" plastic cage ready to shatter into a million pieces.
I only had one rear seal that leaked years ago that was only $25 to fix in the back yard.

Also changing the AWD fluid on the hubs is so much easier then the diff.
They really do not crack, they more like do this. This problem is unheard of on the dual metal cage system.
Even with the metal upgrade cage its still "one" vs "two" on the hub set up.

Old 04-08-2014, 12:45 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Days of shatter cages are coming to an end I believe,but also the days of separate awd drive systems and worst of all carburetors! Almost all machines are going to efi.Diy shade tree mechanics are going too,little by little. From Harley's all the way down to cheap Chinese scooters now have efi. If you have a carb machine and love it,better hang on to it.

Old 04-08-2014, 07:41 PM
Trailblazer

both systems still have a front diff. full of fluid.dont forget also that the single cage is twice the size of the two outboard cages.with one cage both wheels always engage and disengage at the same time,a not so common feat with the twin hub.the only real flaw is the nylon cage.i have an 04 sportsman that sticks on one side or the other sometimes when I switch from forward to reverse and vise versa in awd.ive changed fluid,garter springs,bearings,seals,and done everything I can except try another torque wrench and cant seem 2 make it go away.if I want it to release I have 2 move 4ward just the slightest bit and its good again.it really sucks when plowing.the big plus with the central units that seals the deal is the transmission has a park position on the utility machines.

Old 04-09-2014, 07:55 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

The 2003 was the last 500 Sportsman to used the hub system. Never had the one wheel locking before the other problem yet. The 700 Sportsman in 2002 was the first to get the new centralized Hilliary .
The 2008 AWD 500 Scrambler was the last to use the locking hub setup.

I do change the On demand fluid twice a season maybe that's why I have so much luck.

The diff on the hub system is a standard front diff with a heavy ring gear /pinion setup with no plastic weak link and just takes normal gear oil which does not need changing nearly as much as awd On demand drive fluid in the centralized Hilliary front diff.

We also Have a 1997 SP500 bought new, with almost 8000 miles now that is holding up well for its age.

Old 04-09-2014, 04:24 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like the centralized system better - when it's working - but there never should have been a plastic roller cage. They can break even if you don't do anything wrong like switching on the 4x4 when the rear wheels are spinning.

Old 04-09-2014, 07:56 PM
Trailblazer

most people don't realize 2004 was a transitional year 4 Polaris when a lot of changes took place.the early 2004 400 and 500 sportsmans carried over the hubs at the wheels and the trans with no park,but it got the new speedometer and the new front end.the later models got the centralized hubs and new transmission wich was intended 4 the new 2005 and up body style.then Polaris couldn't wait until 05 2 release the new style so they made 2004.5 model.it makes buying parts 4 my machine a nightmare.i look up allmy oem stuff myself now so I don't get the wrong stuff.i did notice the twin models did get the newer options in 2002-2003.04 models have a lot of one year parts.i like the newer machines better but my wife says they are too hard to steer so I keep that one for her,she also likes that front end better than 03 and under so im stuck with that one year.if u go on ebay and look at 04 400 and 500 models u will notice most have the older style hubs.i wouldn't mine them so much if I could solve that one problem.all forums are always filled with hard 2 solve issues with these but the newer style seem 2 be mostly the same nylon cage issue.its a one and done fix u can just move on from.