Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

central hub vs outboard hubs

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 07:48 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default central hub vs outboard hubs

Anyone have any issues with the sprauge bearing on the central style 4x4?? I know the old out board type ones are a pain sometimes with seals leaking and it sticking and such, but always seemed reliable. Isnt the newer style plastic? anyone switch it out to aluminum? I know i snapped one on a rzr and upgraded to aluminum before it was sold. Also what about axles? i see they are nearly 50% the size they used too, are they still just as strong? Ive been saying for years im gonna upgrade my 2001 and never do, and it keeps going but i think March is finally the time cause the old 500 is obsolete now and leftover 2013 are amazing prices.

Old 02-13-2014, 09:45 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

A lot of people have had problems on the centralized cage. Even the 2013 model shows a "high performance" replacement. Item #12. Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse Both systems have their strong and weak points. But as you've found there are plenty of upgraded cages now from people using ones from John Deere to the billet aluminum ones available on ebay,etc.http://www.ebay.com/itm/POLARIS-SPORTSMAN-500-FRONT-DIFFERENTIAL-ROLLER-CAGE-SPRAGUE-2006-2013-/331086737806?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d164eb18e&vxp=mtr

2006-2013 3235262
You are looking at a new heavy duty roller cage assembly made by Niche Industries. If your reading this right now, you've likely experienced failure with the original nylon cage assembly and are looking for a permanent solution. Well you've come to the right place, Niche sprague cages are forged from hardened 7075-T6 Billet Aluminum, and then Titanium hard coated which eliminates surface wear on the cage. Our rollers are made of polished then hardened steel, then chamfered on the edges to further prevent wear to the inside walls of the cage. This unit includes H-Clips and Rollers as shown and is ready to install. This is the last carrier you will ever have to buy. LIFETIME WARRANTY!

Special Note: Please Read There are many billet cages available online, and we want to ensure that you have as much information about it before you make your purchase, however if it is not FORGED + 7075-T6, + TITANIUM HARD COATED then it is an INFERIOR PRODUCT! Don't be fooled, this is a big job, you don't want to by a part that is going to fail again! Please also note, Niche Industries is the ONLY company offering there own version of the rollers, they are NOT the same as OEM and have been designed to further enhance the life expectancy of your carrier. They are Hardened, Polished and Chamfered, take a close look at the edges of the rollers in our pictures and you can notice the subtle difference in design. Also, you will notice several carriers online that are of a shiny billet color, WARNING, these are NOT hard coated despite the false advertising from sellers, don't be fooled into buying a carrier that is not hard coated, it will fail prematurely and you will be out of pocket a lot of money and riding time! We offer a lifetime warranty on the entire assembly, no questions asked!

The RIGHT PARTS Guaranteed - Plain and simple, we know our parts are better then the rest hands down! We are sure you will get the part you need or your money back!
Buy Today, Receive Tomorrow - We offer great rates on next day delivery anywhere in mainland USA and we can offer 2nd day delivery to most major areas of Canada, Call us for a shipping quote and you could save up to 35% off our posted next day rate.
What you SEE is what you GET - We take special pictures of all of our products in order to display everything that is included. Carefully examine our pictures to see what is included with your item.
Best Value - We deliver 1000"s of parts every week, which gives us an UN-rivalled price advantage and because every part is in-stock at all times, your order will ship right away!
Don"t waste your time with sellers who are here today and gone the next. Choose the name that is committed to delivering what you need! Choose Niche!

Old 02-13-2014, 10:00 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

I not only like the dual hub Hillary system better because it uses two roller cages rather then one but both are stronger alloy cages not a single weaker plastic cage.

Even upgraded to a alloy cage its still one cage system vs two. The only trouble I had so far on my locking hub system was a rear seal leak a few years ago but the seal was only $25 and easy to change.
If the single Locking diff Hillary system has a problem its takes longer and more labor to take apart the front diff rather then a hub.

Look up the old posts .Not one about a cage breaking with the twin hub setup but endless exploding plastic roller cages with the newer single roller cage setup.

If your stuck with you rear wheels spinning and you mistakenly hit the AWD button, two stronger cages can absorb the sudden front wheel engagement shock better the a single weaker cage.

Old 02-13-2014, 10:50 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

There is not a good reason to pick one system over another. Problem is most of you have one or two machines to maintain and haven't experienced working on other types,only what's been posted or what you've heard. Try it on a daily basis for years and you may see why.I've had just as many or more hub awd systems have problems as I've had on the centralized maybe for the simple fact there's many more out there,plus if you consider both wheels,just as many or more parts as on the centralized system. Both systems have their merits and their faults,BOTH are critical on how they're maintained and I've had the pleasure of working on both systems over the years and really can't pick one system over the other.If you can call working on the awd system of either one a pleasure..

Old 02-13-2014, 11:20 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

The only set up I truly trusted was my old 1989 350 4x4 Yamaha Big Bear and 2001 Honda Foreman.
Full time 4wd not even a selectable 2wd/4wd front diff actuator to worry about, like on the newer Foremans and Big Bears.

Old 02-13-2014, 12:34 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

They had that on the 87 and 88 4x4 Polaris.No switch. In 1989 changed from the gear case mounted trans shifter to an actual waist level shifter didn't require you to have to bend over to shift gears along with a modern looking new body style and a "Demand 4 Drive" switch that people were wanting to make steering easier when awd wasn't needed.Constant power to the front hubs caused problems after awhile. Second generation 89 models were when people really started taking notice of Polaris and started considering them and not just what the Japanese were offering.That's when our sales started taking off.

Old 02-13-2014, 02:28 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That forged 7075-T6 aluminum alloy is the same thing parts of M16 rifles are made of. It's fairly durable and strong by itself but the titanium hard coated roller cage should last as long as the rest of the atv.

Old 02-13-2014, 06:25 PM
Pro Rider

Ok, by upgrading the cage, will this help improve the front diff? And will something more expensive break because the cage is improved? SOme say the cage is a fuseable link...

Old 02-13-2014, 06:42 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

It is the weak link!

Old 02-13-2014, 06:46 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
It is the weak link!
Did they use a plastic roller cage, with intentions of it being a weak link, like a fuse? A snapped cage would be cheaper to replace that two axles?

Quick Reply: central hub vs outboard hubs