Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

400 Scrambler Trouble

Old 08-25-1999, 07:49 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a friend who owns 2 400 Scramblers. One of his 400’s “Over Temp” light came on the last time we took a long ride. At the time I only had my 250 Trail Blazer and ended up towing him about 5 miles home. Something the TB did easily by the way.

The interesting part on this story is his dealer found there was no oil in the counterbalancer. I have only had my 400 Scrambler for a week now so this is something I know nothing about. According to the dealer the gears in there where running dry and finally self-destructed. This same set of gears drives the water pump and that is why the over temp light came on. We noticed once we got home you could start the quad and run it for a couple of minutes before the light would come on again.

The mechanic tried to say it must have been making an awful racket and we would have to be deaf not to hear it. Like I said, he has two of them and the one with no oil did not sound a bit louder than the one with. The dealer is fixing it under warranty, as this is something that he claims only needs to be checked/changed once a year. The dealer is suppose to check it prior to turning it over to the customer so it falls back on his head.

I think I will check my Scrambler before I take any extended rides.

Scott.

Old 08-25-1999, 11:00 PM
Pro Rider

The counterbalancer oil is checked by a dipstick located when looking from above and facing forward with the seat off to the right of the carb on the rear of the engine it has a slot in the top of it for a large flat screwdriver this is where you check and fill the counterbalance it is only on the 350 and 400 2 stroke Polaris engines it is recommended that it be changed yearly. I have changed many of them for friends and other people who,s ATVs I service it is not a big job you just need a funnel with a piece of hose attached to it. and a wrench and screwdriver. Never seen on lose its oil but I guess it could happen.

------------------
Kevin Gowdy AKA-Kagey1999 Polaris Magnum 500

Old 08-26-1999, 03:01 AM
Weekend Warrior

One small note about the counterbalance dipstick: If you have an older machine it will most likely be plastic. Change it if you can. They have a tendency to become very brittle and break easily after a few years. The newer Scrambler and sport 400's have a dipstick that is made of aluminum and is an exact replacement for the plastic one. I know that the '98 years and on have the aluminum dipstick.

I had a freind check his oil on his '94 400 when we were out riding. It broke and it was very difficult to get out. Since the top broke off there was nothing to prevent it from dropping into the couterbalancer and tearing things up, so we had to get it out and figure out a way to field repair it.

Hope this saves someone some headaches in the future

Travis Bayne

<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/Baja/Cliffs/3856/index.html">The Wrecking Crew Quadz Page</A>

Old 08-26-1999, 07:47 AM
Range Rover

Thanks guys, great info.
Scott.

Old 08-26-1999, 04:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

I own a 93 350L, I just changed my transmission oil. The owners manual recommends strait 30 weight, I wasn’t sure if I should use that or 5W-30. I was wondering what every one uses in there transmission and the counterbalance, and also the manual also recommends to change the recoil oil, so what do you all use for the 3, and how often.

Old 08-26-1999, 06:35 PM
Range Rover

I just changed my tranny (Gear Box) oil in my 1996 Sport 400. I used premium Polaris synthetic Gear Case oil. In this application be sure the oil you use has anti-shearing additives. The two gears turing in the transmission will quickly break down regular oil. Don't use standard 5w30 designed for automotive use unless you plan to change it twice a month.

Keith B Sport 400, 250 Trail Boss

Old 08-26-1999, 11:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

So the straight 30 weight is good for the tranny? What about the counter balance and the recoil, my dealer suggested that the counter balance don’t really have to be changed because it doesn’t heat up is this true, and how often with the tranny and recoil?

Old 08-26-1999, 11:43 PM
Pro Rider

The oil requirements changed as transmissions changed throughout the mid 90s. I have the manual from 90 till present in my shop but its raining out and I don,t want to get wet. But I think The recommended years for using 30 weight oil in the trans ended around 93 or 94. The only oil recommended by the manufacturer is the synthetic trans oil they market. The trans holds only around 2pints if I remember correctly. I have used Dexron 3 in a 95 300 when I ran out of the Polaris Fluid that was over 2 years ago and that quads still going hasn,t been changed since so it must not have hurt anything that was the closest thing I could find that matched the viscosity of the Polaris oil at the time but I,m not reccommending it. Its reccommended to change it at least annually but if I rode in water a lot I would look out for water contamination. Same on the counter balancer. It runs motor oil. Recommends 10w30.

------------------
Kevin Gowdy AKA-Kagey1999 Polaris Magnum 500

[This message has been edited by Kagey (edited 08-26-1999).]