Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

04 Sportsman 500 pull start broke

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 05:56 PM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 04 Sportsman 500 pull start broke

My 04 has been sitting for a few months. About a month ago I tried to start it and the battery was dead so I pulled it twice and the rope stayed out and didn't recoil. Today I put the charger on it and it cranked and started in know time. The rope pulled in the I had a clangy metal sound so I shut it down. I know the right cover has to come off but does the starter need to come out? and what else am I looking at?. Is that cover a bit*h to come off? And where to get the parts. Thanks in advance. Steve

Old 03-18-2014, 06:36 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Recoil cover just unbolts and pulls off. Several pieces that could have flown out. Account for all of them as they can destroy a stator. Starter doesn't have to come out.Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse

Old 03-18-2014, 06:56 PM
Range Rover

It didn't sound great but I think I caught fast enough not to do anymore damage I hope. So I guess just remove the foot well bolts and pull it out of the way. Thanks OPT

Old 03-19-2014, 12:43 PM
Range Rover

Hey OPT,
I got the cover off and found that the screw that holds everything together backed out and the what ratchet was laying in the cover. So I'm going to order that and the screw. The springs all stayed in place so I hope I'm good with that. Anything else you could think of since the cover is off? Also a good video or book that shows more then the parts breakdown on how to get it back together. Thanks again.

Old 03-19-2014, 01:02 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had that screw back off on me as well and was lucky to catch in in time before it screwed everything in the recoil up.
I use Loctite on the screw so it would not happen again. Make sure you use the blue version of Loctite.

The RED loctite, the color of the fluid not the bottle, is a PERMANENT
Loctite and should only be used on components that you are not planning
to remove.

The BLUE loctite, the fluid, is removable loctite, one of the names it is
given is "Thread 'n lock" as it is placed onto the threads of the screw
or bolt and then screwed together. It will harden up after awhile and
prevent the bolt or screw from coming apart from vibration.

Their is also a PURPLE Loctite made for 1/4(6mm) and smaller screws , also not permanent.

P.S recoil cover goes on like you took it off. Just clean and reseal the mating surfaces of the cover and motor.

Old 03-19-2014, 01:41 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Make sure the small bushing area where the ratchet mounts isn't cracked! Will break later on if it is. On installing a new rope,"IF" the main spring isn't broken,reel still in place ,just install the new spring,ratchet, friction spring, cover plate and bolt and washer.Springs and cover plate can be reused if ok. Loctite the bolt as TLC mentioned to keep it from backing off later. Don't crank down on the bolt,about 10 pounds torque is good enough. Just make sure after the cover plate is tightened when you turn it back and forth the ratchet kicks out and back in.If too tight just loosen the bolt a tad. Line the rope opening in the plastic wheel with the recoil hole. Install the new rope end and tie a tight knot in the reel slot. Turn the plastic reel counter clock wise until you see a cut out in the reel. Hook the loose end of the rope into it(hold the rope up out of the way) and continue turning the reel counter clock wise "7" full turns. Slowly let the wheel turn back clockwise until you line up the rope slot at the recoil opening. Pull the rope out of the slot while holding the plastic wheel.Then slowly let it turn clock wise which will wind the new rope on the wheel. If you turned the wheel enough to preload the spring,the rope handle will be snug against the recoil opening. Pull the recoil rope several times to check that the ratchet kicks out and in. Then seal the cover with rtv and bolt the cover back on.

Old 03-19-2014, 02:23 PM
Range Rover

The bushing I think you are talking about #11 has a split in it and it looks like that on the film also but I will order it. Thanks OPT & TLC

Old 03-19-2014, 02:44 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Not that one. It does have a split in this bushing. I was talking about any noticeable cracks on the reel itself where the ratchet mounts on the small post. If reel is ok,just go with it.

Old 03-19-2014, 03:13 PM
Range Rover

That one is good.

Old 03-27-2014, 01:42 PM
Range Rover

Help the parts came today and I was cleaning up the inside of the cover and the recoil spring went for a ride. Is there an easy way to rewind this thing? I'm pulling out what little hair I have left. Thanks

Quick Reply: 04 Sportsman 500 pull start broke