Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Diesel or Sportsman 500?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-1999, 11:02 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am getting ready to buy a new four wheeler and I would really like to get the diesel. Just woundering if anyone out there has one or has rode one and could give me some input?

Old 08-29-1999, 11:49 PM
Trailblazer

dave,
I was considering the same thing last year. Here are a few of the things I found when I did a little reasearch on the diesel.

1. It does not run over 35mph full throttle
2. It does not run very well at elevations above 5000ft. In fact polaris does not recommend it at all.

3. In the Magizine articles I read on it said in a summary) "The diesel will do any job....just slowly" It would clim any hill they threw at but only in low range.

4. It's suppose to make 2-3times better milage vs. the sportsman. And the diesel has a smaller tank.

5. It is heavier than the sportsman, I weighed my 99 sportsman and it tiped the scales at 860lbs with out me.

I went with the sportsman 500, because I live in Montana. It's to cold and to high(6500) for the diesel.

hope this helps
Jeremy

99 SP 500

Old 08-30-1999, 12:11 AM
Trailblazer

A diesel has 12hp compared to a sportmans 500s 30+hp.

Mud600

Old 08-30-1999, 07:57 AM
Range Rover

I heard one of the diesels run at the dealer a few days ago. It drove by behind me as I was loading my Scrambler. I didn't know what it was and my first impression was somebody had a sick 2 Stroke. If you can imagine being under the hood of a diesel truck that is about what it sounds like. I wouldn't own one for that reason alone. I can't believe the diesel does anything better than the Sportsman unless gas mileage is a big concern for you.
Scott.

Old 08-30-1999, 09:59 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A diesel 4x4 quad,not to practical an idea in my opionion.Well I'D buy a tractor first.Towing capacity on a quad whether it be gas or diesel is going to be limited anyway. [Frame size, ect]With a gas powered quad ,at least after your done working with it you can go out and play with it as well.It just dont sound to me like a diesel can do to many things except work,and very slow at that.I can work my Sportsman very hard and still have the option of playing with it to.I'd be willing to make a small bet that the diesel quad will not be around to long.They stink,they are slow,and not practical for anything but work,and you can get work and fun out of the gasoline powered quads,Just my opionion. BILL

Old 08-30-1999, 10:06 AM
Pro Rider

Dave,
I had the chance to ride with one back at our New Year's Eve party. Its a diesel... so yes, its noiser than a gas engine.
The diesel is for farmers, ranchers, and people who do off highway work. (Pipeline companies, Electric companies.. etc..)
They can haul one fuel storage tank and re-fill everything.. Makes sense...
The one I rode with was a pulling MULE though.. Of course, we were mud riding, but the guy riding it (OWNER of East Texas Polaris) didn't have any trouble getting thru mudholes or keeping up. But i'm sure that somewhere, all that extra weight would have to come into play and sink you beyond recognition. We just didn't find any holes like that on THAT particular night.
Unless you live on a farm and gasoline isn't readily available or easy to store, I'd personally go with a gasoline engine. Maybe the Sportsman or Magnum 500????
Good Luck on Your Decision...

Old 08-30-1999, 02:06 PM
Trailblazer

I figure if you added one of those turbos that they sell for the sportsman to that diesel, it would make one hell of a quad.

1. Economy would be better than it is now.
2. The altitude problem would be solved.
3. So would the performance problem.

However another $1500 on to the price of already overly priced quad, that proably has little to no resale value just doesn't make sence to me.

Old 08-30-1999, 02:41 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Never rode it but I did start one once. It sounds like an old Browning BAR rifle from a WWII movie.

------------------
Andy Bassham *(1999 Arctic Cat 500 4x4, 1989 Honda 300)*

Old 08-30-1999, 04:33 PM
Pro Rider

Up here in Ontario, I see adds all the time on dealers selling them at discounts because they don't sell.

Get a Sportsman or Magnum instead. Better power and better resale value.

RM

Old 08-30-1999, 07:34 PM
Pro Rider

Our Local dealer had a special on the diesel a while back to try and get rid of his stock of them $6100.00 He still has one left says he want get anymore unless someone orders one . Unless you have a unique need for the Diesel go for the Sportsman or my personal favorite the Magnum 500.

------------------
Kevin Gowdy AKA-Kagey1999 Polaris Magnum 500

Quick Reply: Diesel or Sportsman 500?