Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

04 700 EFI Battery problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 07:36 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 700 EFI Battery problem

Hello,
I have an 04 700 EFI the battery is a few years old so I wont be surprised if its dead, My question is Can I test the stator and voltage regulator by starting the machine and unhooking the battery? I did observe this summer that if the battery is unhooked it will idle but seems to die out when I give it gas. if it keeps running it means the stator and voltage regulator are good. same idea as testing the alternator on a car. Right now if I charge the battery it will start and run fine all day long ... but in two days if I go back the battery is dead. I just wanna do a test and see if its a stator problem, because if it is and the stator looks hard to get to like the stator on my Skidoo rev, I am gonna charge up the battery and go trade it in at the local stealer.
Thanks

Old 04-09-2014, 07:03 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put a voltmeter across the battery when you have it running , if it's in the 13.5 to 14.5 range { + or - 5% } your charging system is ok , do not unhook the battery when it's running !

Old 04-09-2014, 09:39 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do the voltage test first. Don,t get ripped off at a dealers. I have a $60 Walmart EverStart ATV battery in my Yamaha Grizzly that my Canadian Yamaha dealer wanted $160 for the OEM battery.
The Walmart Battery is starting great after 2 years.
I bought a Walmart battery that lasted 4 years in my 583 Ski-doo Grand Touring. I bought that battery for $40 in Michigan.

12v is 12v.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:43 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by NEK VT
Hello,
I have an 04 700 EFI the battery is a few years old so I wont be surprised if its dead, My question is Can I test the stator and voltage regulator by starting the machine and unhooking the battery? I did observe this summer that if the battery is unhooked it will idle but seems to die out when I give it gas. if it keeps running it means the stator and voltage regulator are good. same idea as testing the alternator on a car. Right now if I charge the battery it will start and run fine all day long ... but in two days if I go back the battery is dead. I just wanna do a test and see if its a stator problem, because if it is and the stator looks hard to get to like the stator on my Skidoo rev, I am gonna charge up the battery and go trade it in at the local stealer.
Thanks
Do as Yooper265 mentioned and check charging back to the battery while at an idle. If it's charging ok,just take the battery in and have it load tested. A battery can show 12 volts or more on a meter after being on a charger,but can still have a dead cell and wont accept a charge from the regulator. Plus if a regulator's bad and not charging it can eventually suck the life out of a good battery by constant draining it down and having to be recharged often. Again as mentioned DON'T disconnect a battery while running as it can cause surging and damage electrical components,plus once you do,it affects the fuel pump, ignition,etc as they need he constant voltage to keep working and the engine will die.

Old 04-24-2014, 04:24 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also invest in a float charger. They're under $10 at Harbor Freight and they always have coupons where you can get one for like $6. I keep them on my machines when not in use and can testify that it greatly extends battery life. An AGM or lithium ion battery for a replacement is a spendy option but well worth it. Last longer and more cranking amps than any oem out there.