Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Our 6X6 Sportsman 500 rear winch configuration

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 05:54 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Another question about the Mud Bugs. There isn't any kind of center lug that goes completely around the tire. My hunch is they'll slide sideways to easily in the snow. Did you have any rides in snow that this happened or are they stable keeping a straight line.

Old 04-24-2015, 08:42 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No sir-ee, no issues like that which I can speak of. The lugs are diagonal, and as they approach the "midline" of the tire they curve inward (scroll back to one of the first pics in this thread and I think you'll kinda see what I mean). I think you'd see issues if your lugs were completely horizontal, running across the width of the tire, sorta like the sand scoop tires like they run in the dunes. These I don't see that being an issue with ever.

We put on just as many miles in the snow as we do any other time of year. Probably considerably more if you factor in all the plowing. We plow a race track on the lake in winter to run the go-carts on. Plowing that is about the closest sensation to "drifting" like you're talking about though. I have a pile of studs for the tires, I've just never put them in. I'm sure they'd make a big difference on ice though. Especially with steering. Those 4 rear tires like to push the front end straight ahead, and depending on how the plow is angled, that likes to push the front end the opposite direction of whichever way it is angled. Maybe I'd just stud the fronts afterall.

Speaking of plow angle, my next project will be a "power plow angle" setup. Not hydro, probably use another linear actuator and see how it holds up. As much plowing as we do, sure is annoying always having to jump off and manually change the plow angle.

Old 04-24-2015, 01:20 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete.
No sir-ee, no issues like that which I can speak of. The lugs are diagonal, and as they approach the "midline" of the tire they curve inward (scroll back to one of the first pics in this thread and I think you'll kinda see what I mean). I think you'd see issues if your lugs were completely horizontal, running across the width of the tire, sorta like the sand scoop tires like they run in the dunes. These I don't see that being an issue with ever.

We put on just as many miles in the snow as we do any other time of year. Probably considerably more if you factor in all the plowing. We plow a race track on the lake in winter to run the go-carts on. Plowing that is about the closest sensation to "drifting" like you're talking about though. I have a pile of studs for the tires, I've just never put them in. I'm sure they'd make a big difference on ice though. Especially with steering. Those 4 rear tires like to push the front end straight ahead, and depending on how the plow is angled, that likes to push the front end the opposite direction of whichever way it is angled. Maybe I'd just stud the fronts afterall.

Speaking of plow angle, my next project will be a "power plow angle" setup. Not hydro, probably use another linear actuator and see how it holds up. As much plowing as we do, sure is annoying always having to jump off and manually change the plow angle.
Great info! I'll be watching prices on them and see what I can get in the fall. I like being able to get a 27x8 tire for the front. No worries about rubbing tie rod ends. I've plowed the last couple winters and it almost makes the chores enjoyable. Had the plow push me sideways more than a few times. I was concerned about going on winter rides with the Mud Bugs. We ride NH on one of the few trail systems open to both snowmobiles and ATV's. Lot of hills and drop offs that I'd rather not slide into.

Old 03-25-2018, 10:38 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Attachment 13975

Attachment 13976[/QUOTE]

Dying to know where you bought that cage for the dump bed... Was it a homemade thing or did you buy a kid from somewhere? Looking to buy a big boss primarily for moving large amount of already split firewood and that cage is literally exactly what I was looking for