Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Fell through the ice !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2001, 03:07 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well Guess What? It is ice Danger time in northern Mn. I just got back from falling through the ice in a field With about 4" of ice on it Plus the Water Was Over the racks. Man was i worried But Damn it if the old sp did not get me out, It took about 45 minuts to do it i just kept falling through until i was completly through. and wallowing around pushing ice flows and getting soaked to the bone, And to top it off it was raining.Not cool at 12 pm at night. I almost sent my buddy back to get a truck and a couple hundred feet of rope. I was totaly impressed with the new tire setup i have one helluva way to try them out bi claws on the front and triclaws on the rear, Damn do they work good, I am not going to miss my mudrunners after tonight. All in all them tires did an awsome Job and would recomend them to anybody plus there only 25" tall tires.So be carfull out there on the ice It could have been a lake or river and been really screwed.

Old 03-31-2001, 09:52 AM
Pro Rider

The ice is not safe In Ontario (Sudbury area) either. I was out yesterday afternoon following so snowmoble trails across some small ponds. Things were ok, until I came to a spot where teh ski-doo had broke through. I tried to turn around, but where the snow wasn't packed by the ski-doo's it was just slush. I got stuck pretty bad, had to get wet to get it out, and when going back over my tracks I was starting to break through in more places.
That was my last trip across water until next winter.

Old 03-31-2001, 11:57 AM
Trailblazer

I know this is kinda off subject of ATVs and Ice, but I have a lake story about my snowmobile that might be of interest to you.
This winter was pretty snowy this year in NY, and a nearby lake puts on a ice race with a bunch of locals racing there modified cars around the lake. Well, after this race was over I realized the hard way that ice can be dangerous...
Where they plowed the ice for the races had melted pretty deep (I'm not sure how deep, but deep enough)... The sun had gotten to the uncovered ice and melted parts of it.
Well, anyway, I hit this wet spot at about 45 mph on a sled a skipped across the wet spot... Like I said, I don't know how depe it was but I never touched anything, the farther I trudged along the slower my sled got and the deeper the rear end (track) sunk... It kept digging deeper and deeper, until luckily I hit some solid snow/ice and the track cought...

I wiped the sweat off of my head after that one...

-jester
Long live the king baby!

-00 King Quad
-97 Honda 300 4x4
-01 Ski-Doo Formula delux
-97 ARctic Cat Spam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word 
-97 Polaris sport

Old 03-31-2001, 12:42 PM
Pro Rider

Yep, time to stay off the ice. Two guys died after falling through the ice on Green Bay (the body of water, not the city for yous that don't know it is not only a city ) in Wisconsin recently. Took searchers several days to find them. There were 4 guys on four sleds. Two sleds fell through, but the guys managed to make it out...albeit without the sleds. They jumped on the other two sleds and planned to ride double back to shore. One of those sleds fell through too, but the two guys on it never made it out.

Also, near Sturgeon Bay WI a man fell through the ice too. All they found was his ATV, they never found him.

Old 04-01-2001, 06:08 PM
Pro Rider

Jester, you sure do get yourself in some predicaments. I was thinkin' about asking you to come out and ride some time but I just don't know now... You scare me... :0)
Chuck

Old 04-01-2001, 10:01 PM
Pro Rider

Ah hell it sure made a good test of the boots i can say that. Where do u live Never heard of ecorse mi?

Old 04-01-2001, 10:09 PM
Trailblazer

Hey kingofthehill
let me guess. it was Round Lake or Saratoga.

Old 04-03-2001, 10:12 PM
Pro Rider

Well Dazed, Ecorse, is in Michigan. It's southeast of Detroit, located next to the Detroit River. About 80,000 people live here and work in various places like the local steel company, Ford Motors, Chrysler and GM.
I think what you really wanted to know is do we ride around here and the answer is no. We have to drive 1.5 hours to get to a riding area. The state is planning on having trails here near the Southeastern Michigan area soon. When my friends and I ride, we usually take the weekend. Hope that answered your question.
Chuck

Old 04-04-2001, 08:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

Wow !!! with all the bad ice stories you will have to check this one out. Saturday the 2/31/00 I saw a full size pickup on mullett lk. It is located in nortern michigan. that is what I call pressing yor luck. A Quad yes, truck NO .

Old 04-04-2001, 11:21 PM
Pro Rider

I had all of the ice in my tea melt this weekend while I was mowing the lawn... Does that count???
I love living in the south...

Quick Reply: Fell through the ice !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!