Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

predator bearing problem!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 09:46 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default predator bearing problem!

I have a 04 Polaris predator 500. Tried to tighten the chain and did everything right I think. Followed the steps from another thread on here. Got it tight, tightened everything back up and the bearing carrier came out a little bit. So the axle was a little bit loose. I lifted it up on blocks, and tried to tap in the bearing carrier and it won't go back in? Its still really loose!? What do I do?

Old 06-30-2014, 12:00 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Check your snap rings along with the rear axle nut.You have to loosen the nut set screw to tighten the nut if loose. If every things correct loosen the carrier pinch bolts again and chain and see if the carrier can move back in. Then tighten the chain and pinch bolts again. Check for any axle bearing play while you have it lifted up. Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse

Old 06-30-2014, 06:02 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Check your snap rings along with the rear axle nut.You have to loosen the nut set screw to tighten the nut if loose. If every things correct loosen the carrier pinch bolts again and chain and see if the carrier can move back in. Then tighten the chain and pinch bolts again. Check for any axle bearing play while you have it lifted up. Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse
Where is the snap ring and rear axle nut? Lol sorry I'm so stupid with this stuff. It didn't seem this complicated initially...

Old 06-30-2014, 10:01 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Item#18 and #24 on the link to the diagram I posted.
Plus if you don't have a service manual here's one for 5 bucks that shows you in detail what to do.http://polaris-atv.brssm.com/2004-Po...ce-Manual.html

Old 06-30-2014, 11:34 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Item#18 and #24 on the link to the diagram I posted.
Plus if you don't have a service manual here's one for 5 bucks that shows you in detail what to do.http://polaris-atv.brssm.com/2004-Po...ce-Manual.html
Oh! Sorry i didn't see that... Haha thanks! I'm gunna try it tonight when I get off work! Hopefully I can get it to work.

Old 06-30-2014, 12:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

So idk what I did differently. It was loose and I just said screw it I'm going to try it, so I just bolted it back up, shifted it into 1st and rolled it while it was on the blocks and now its about right? But the axle still can be moved a tiny bit. Not much, can probably move the tires about 1/4". thats bad isn't it? I put it down and rode it for about 15 mins and it worked fine?

Old 07-01-2014, 10:40 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by garretttt4
So idk what I did differently. It was loose and I just said screw it I'm going to try it, so I just bolted it back up, shifted it into 1st and rolled it while it was on the blocks and now its about right? But the axle still can be moved a tiny bit. Not much, can probably move the tires about 1/4". thats bad isn't it? I put it down and rode it for about 15 mins and it worked fine?
So its not a bad thing? Someone let me know!

Old 07-01-2014, 11:04 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

If you're talking about in and out play on the axle itself,you can still try to tighten the axle nut.If it still moves it could be bearing wear. Same thing on the carrier if is moving,try to tighten the pinch bolts down a little more. If in doubt just get the manual. Best if you plan on maintaining your own machine anyway and well worth the 5 bucks.