Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

02 Sportsman 500 HO no 4WD?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 11:00 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My all-wheel-drive is on the right handlebar but there is no light. The thin wires are grounded to the same ground as the fat wires just under a different connector. The gray wires get power from the switch? We put a tester on it and it's only getting .02 V. At the switch as well as down at the wheel. At this time I am trying to take the two thin brown wires and the two thick brown wires and Connect all four of them to a common ground. We have checked my ground on a power which is getting 8.94 V. We followed that water up to the switch on the handlebar and at the switch it is getting 8.94 V. with the switch on or off it is not giving power to the white connectors down here where are you grounded all four wires. So that leads me to believe that the Hillard clutch is not getting power although it is properly grounded. Is there a way to mock up a switch to see if it works and if I've verified it I can get a new switch. The problem is the wire going to that switch is a five pin wire.

Old 02-03-2015, 11:08 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Plus have you jumped the speedo brown/white wire? It get it's original ground from the awd switch also but completes the grounding in the speedo head.Jumping this wire in the speedo harness bypasses the speedo and may take this along with a common ground for the hub wires to complete the ground circuit.

Old 02-03-2015, 11:15 AM
Trailblazer

OPT, I edited my last entry please look above. Holy crap there is an AWG light underneath all that dirt and corrosion. we disassembled the switch and cleaned up the brass contacts under the yellow switch. standby am doing this as we speak.

Old 02-03-2015, 11:26 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by NobleEagle
My all-wheel-drive is on the right handlebar but there is no light. The thin wires are grounded to the same ground as the fat wires just under a different connector. The gray wires get power from the switch? We put a tester on it and it's only getting .02 V. At the switch as well as down at the wheel. At this time I am trying to take the two thin brown wires and the two thick brown wires and Connect all four of them to a common ground. We have checked my ground on a power which is getting 8.94 V. We followed that water up to the switch on the handlebar and at the switch it is getting 8.94 V. with the switch on or off it is not giving power to the white connectors down here where are you grounded all four wires. So that leads me to believe that the Hillard clutch is not getting power although it is properly grounded. Is there a way to mock up a switch to see if it works and if I've verified it I can get a new switch. The problem is the wire going to that switch is a five pin wire.
Saw your other post on finding the awd light under the mud. As far as testing power to the hubs,you can temp splice a gray hub coil wire into a red or red/white(switched wire) and see if a hub activates with the atv lifted off the ground.If this is the only way you can get awd you might need to buy a new control switch as it could be faulty.

Old 02-03-2015, 11:54 AM
Trailblazer

OPT, well you're 2 for 2... Don't take this the wrong way but I love you in a non faggoty kind of way. By going to red it's supplied enough power for four-wheel-drive to kick in. I would assume that that would mean it is four-wheel-drive all the time. Which leads me to believe that if I got a new switch that would supply power went on and shuts power when off. It looks like I'm going to buy a whole new throttle control module. Please advise as I am already surfing eBay.

Old 02-03-2015, 12:20 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Sounds like what I'd do if you're down to that.Hopefully it's the control switch,BUT not trying to throw a monkey wrench into things,check wiring and connectors from the transmission gear indicator switches also as they show gear position on the speedo,that's not working on your atv I presume.Items 12,13.Dirt Cheap Yamaha & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse Just trying to cma so to speak if it happens to be something other than the control switch even though I've replaced several throttle/awd control switches over the past. Plus non faggoty way is fine,at least it better be or the old lady might get jealous .. HOPE the switch solves the problem as it's a little hard trying to guess over the internet at times.Kinda miss that hands on approach sometimes,but not enough to go back to turning wrenches again..Keep us updated.

Old 02-04-2015, 09:50 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

OPT you need a sticky for all these "No 4wd Post" would make typing easier, just copy and paste.LOL

Old 02-04-2015, 09:55 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Beginning to think that myself. Sure would help the fingers..

Old 02-10-2015, 12:07 AM
Trailblazer
Thumbs up

So, I finally got the new switch after the delivery was sent to the wrong place. Anyways, I took the 5 minutes to install it and it wasn't the problem. So, I traced all wires and saw there are 6 wires going to the switch on the right handlebar.
- 1 Black (which has to do with the shutdown of the running machine). This wire goes under the hood to join 2 others and leads to the CDI box. After tracing it, I found that the 3 wires coming from the handlebars headed to the hood area comes from the AWD contacts, the ignition switch, and the on-off-on switch on the left handlebar.
- 2 Browns which I had already joined together and grounded under the hood.
- 2 Solid gray's which is front left and front right hub power when switch is ON
- 1 Gray/White which I assumed was the power that is distributed to the 2 solid grays when AWD is ON and should illuminate the AWD light on the right hand control.

I found switched power (red/white) under the hood and attached it to the Gray/White which was not connected to anything and it light up the AWD light and powered the 4wd just fine (tested it all while it being off the ground). I guess I jumped the gun not realizing what the gray/white that was taped up under the hood went to and I just ordered a new switch when I really didn't need it. I guess it's either going on eBay or I just have a spare.

OPT, thanks again this is the 2nd time you have succeeded in resolving my issues and it's another one in the books. I am very thankful you are here as support for guys like me that are not afraid to get dirty but are not sure of where to start.

Old 02-10-2015, 05:39 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by NobleEagle

I found switched power (red/white) under the hood and attached it to the Gray/White which was not connected to anything and it light up the AWD light and powered the 4wd just fine (tested it all while it being off the ground). I guess I jumped the gun not realizing what the gray/white that was taped up under the hood went to and I just ordered a new switch when I really didn't need it.
Cases like this where the previous owner has messed with the wiring is where the schematic diagram in manuals can help on solving problems. Sometimes I think I'd rather repair where mice have chew up wires rather than have human hands screwing things up. At least mice don't unplug wires that I've seen and at least they leave you a little to work with.. Glad you solved your problem.

Quick Reply: 02 Sportsman 500 HO no 4WD?