Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

02 Sportsman 500 HO no 4WD?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 06:17 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 02 Sportsman 500 HO no 4WD?

Well after doing the carbon just went tire rod in reverse bypass override paint and new decals I finally took it out and went for a ride at One of the wildlife management areas. Here's how it went, I unloaded, saw the trail and took it about 100 yards in. I saw a small puddle and went around it. I made about five feet in and sank about a foot and a half up to my floorboards. I switched to low gear and put it in four-wheel-drive and hit it. After getting covered in mud on both sides of me I looked and saw no action on my front wheels on my back wheels were just spinning. After taking a picture I thought "got scuba?"... Anyways had a couple guys help me out, and I spent probably the next four hours running around and 2 Wheel Dr. having a ball. However I really do want to get the four-wheel-drive working in don't know where to start looking if anyone has any ideas please let me know. I am including a picture of my adventure for those to look back at their memory because I know I'm not the only one. Have fun and stay safe!

Last edited by NobleEagle; 01-31-2015 at 06:38 PM. Reason: Added pix
Old 01-31-2015, 06:50 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

The over ride bypass is mainly to bypass the limiter in the speedo that can cause limiting/dying in forward or reverse gear position. Also bypasses having to push the over ride button in reverse to get full power and also allows awd in reverse,that is IF the awd is working properly. You still have a couple choices you can do if the mechanical portion in the hubs is up to snuff. Jump the brown/white wire in the speedo harness connector to the brown wire OR to a good frame ground such as the coil mount where most of the ground wires terminate.This bypassed the awd function transfer in the speedo itself.Jack the machine up and see if the awd light come on and the awd works. If it doesn't you can do the small strut ground wire reground that many have to done to restore awd if they loose ground.

Old 01-31-2015, 07:44 PM
Trailblazer

OPT, Again thanks for the quick reply. I have determined my speedo does not work nor do any of the idiot lights, However the hours meter does work and the speedo lights up. Within the next couple of days I will jump the brown wires as you suggested and see of that it does it. I will definitely keep you posted and thanks again.

Old 01-31-2015, 08:05 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Yes if the speedo doesn't work except for speed and mileage,the awd usually wont work.Crazy that the awd goes through the speedo like it does! I'd try the brown/white bypass first,then the other if needed. Yes keep us updated as to what you have to do to regain awd function.

Old 02-02-2015, 09:00 AM
Trailblazer

OPT, I've watched the video and jumped out those for brown wires to ground as it showed. I then put it on my twists and put it in 4 wheel drive And started it up. In all forward gears and reverse in 4 wheel drive and 2 wheel drive I have power at the rear wheels And the front drive shaft spins as well as The transaxle But the front wheels are not spinning. as I give it throttle and then let off the handle bars jerk to the right. To be clear, the front drive shaft spins and the CV axles are spinning but the tires are not.

Old 02-02-2015, 10:32 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Still sounds like you don't have a good ground,try the speedo bypass also if you haven't done so, plus check that you have power to the gray wires leading to the hubs.

Old 02-03-2015, 09:24 AM
Trailblazer

At first I only grounded the little brown wires. This morning I went to the other side of those white clips and I cut the two big brown wires with the white and I ran them to a common ground that you pointed out. Nothing is different I still have full power to the rear wheels front driveshaft is turning, CV axles are turning, but the wheels are not engaging. My all-wheel-drive switch does not have a light. The all-wheel-drive is probably included in the idiot lights that don't light up. I am at a complete loss and don't know what to try next.

Old 02-03-2015, 09:40 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Connect BOTH large browns to the small wires(4 total) Then tie the 4 to a larger wire to ground and see if this helps. If it still doesn't light up the awd switch,jump the brown/white wire in the speedo connector to the brown wire or to a good frame mounting area.

Old 02-03-2015, 09:50 AM
Trailblazer

As it stands right now I had to thin brown wires, I cut both of them which made for and I ran them to the ground. Then I went on the other side of the white clips and I cut the two brown wires with white and I ran them to the ground. I do not have any light to tell me that four-wheel-drive is on as in there isn't one to light up.

Old 02-03-2015, 09:58 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by NobleEagle
As it stands right now I had to thin brown wires, I cut both of them which made for and I ran them to the ground. Then I went on the other side of the white clips and I cut the two brown wires with white and I ran them to the ground. I do not have any light to tell me that four-wheel-drive is on as in there isn't one to light up.
You're separating the brown wires from EACH other and would work better if grounded as a group as a separate ground may not work on these thin wires. Plus you have the awd button and indicator light on the right bar.. ?

Quick Reply: 02 Sportsman 500 HO no 4WD?