Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris Xpress 300 - Need some help

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2016, 10:05 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Easiest way to tell is with a test light when you pull the brake lever. If you have power on the wiring but no brake light,problem could be in the socket holder itself if you have a new bulb. You might post future Chinese questions here.Chinese Quads - ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

Old 12-05-2018, 02:02 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replace it

[QUOTE=Cummins Driver;3296638]Hey guys. This weekend I bought a Polaris Xpress 300 2wd from a guy local. I paid $400 for the machine running and driving. Didn't seem like too bad of a deal since it actually looks ok, and is pretty tight as far as bushings and bearings, but it needs slightly more mechanical work that I was thinking it might. Ill try to run through what it needs. Ive rebuilt several ATV's, but this 2 stroke is a new venture for me as far as ATV's go so im trying to learn it as I go. The machine needs an air filter and brakes which Ive already ordered. Its leaking oil somewhere around the middle of the machine, so ill need to find and fix that. The battery is bad, and the lights don't work with the machine running. Im doubting the starter works either which seems to be common on these since its under the engine.

Now for the items I need some help with.

1 - The engine starts on the first pull warm or hot. I haven't checked compression but it seems to run well with no spitting or sputtering, but it smokes like crazy. Much more than what would be normal. I took the air filter out and rode it for a quick check and it smoked just as bad. The tank looks like it has premix in it. Which means if the oiler is working that it is getting double the oil it needs. So, I may pull the tank and clean it because its dirty in there anyway. Then I can add regular gas and go from there. But before I do that, is there any way to make sure the oiler is working correctly? The throttle cable moved the metering arm just like it should, and I have heard OPT say the injection system is pretty reliable. It looks to inject right into the carburetor.

2 - It seems to have pretty good power, but it just keeps revving and never seems to really speed up like it should. You have to push it hard to get to what feels like 25-30mph and the engine is really screaming. So, my guess is the clutch needs a little work of some kind. Any ideas on where to start there? It seems to grab ok off idle, but it just never seems to change up into the high ratio. Im assuming this thing would surely run 40mph and get there reasonably fast when everything is right? What are the symptoms of a worn belt on one of these?

Replace the oil pump every year or 5,000 miles. Polaris 2 stroke oil pumps are horribly unreliable. Some people say wait for it to make noise. They are right. If you can't hear it ticking then It's working fine. They tick like a 4 stroke valve when they quit working. I wouldn't take the chance. Just change it now before it destroys your rings. It's smoking because it decided to work today. It's got mixed gas in it because the oil pump only works half the time. It's extremely common. The speed issue is just the worn out belt. The clutches are bulletproof. Change the oil pump and belt and it'll go like the wind. Also there's a drain plug in the base of the motor. Find it. It's your best friend. If you forget to shut the gas off it'll fill the motor with gas until it runs out the exhaust and never run again until you find the plug and drain it. Don't ever tighten the chain. The trajectory is way off. It gains 2 inches from top to bottomed out so if you get the chain tight enough so it looks like it won't fall off the first bump you hit will break the driveshaft off the tranny when the chain comes tight. Also do not over load it or tow from the rack. 300 pounds will break the swing arm.

Old 12-15-2018, 12:42 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Jaremy Robertson

Replace the oil pump every year or 5,000 miles. Polaris 2 stroke oil pumps are horribly unreliable. Some people say wait for it to make noise. They are right. If you can't hear it ticking then It's working fine. They tick like a 4 stroke valve when they quit working. I wouldn't take the chance. Just change it now before it destroys your rings. It's smoking because it decided to work today. It's got mixed gas in it because the oil pump only works half the time. It's extremely common. The speed issue is just the worn out belt. The clutches are bulletproof. Change the oil pump and belt and it'll go like the wind. Also there's a drain plug in the base of the motor. Find it. It's your best friend. If you forget to shut the gas off it'll fill the motor with gas until it runs out the exhaust and never run again until you find the plug and drain it. Don't ever tighten the chain. The trajectory is way off. It gains 2 inches from top to bottomed out so if you get the chain tight enough so it looks like it won't fall off the first bump you hit will break the driveshaft off the tranny when the chain comes tight. Also do not over load it or tow from the rack. 300 pounds will break the swing arm.
Well this thread left off 2 years ago now, but I guess I might as well update since its been bumped up. After 2 years the oil injection is still working just fine, no issues there. The speed issue was a stuck weight on the clutch which was not allowing it to squeeze down on the primary like it needed to. I did replace the belt since it looked worn but the real issue was the clutch weight. I did tighten the chain, but I also compressed the suspension after adjusting and made sure it wasnt too tight because they definitely do tighten and loose as the suspension cycles. As for loads it has been pulling a small trailer the past two years with firewood, fencing equipment and anything else you can think of on the farm with no issues. My sisters father in law uses it very often and it has worked out really well for him. Had one issue with the electronic throttle control and thats been about it really.

Old 09-11-2019, 01:22 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default EBoard

What did you finally sell it for?