Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Ground wire question

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2015, 02:48 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ground wire question

I have a 99 sportsman 500 4x4, I read in another post about front diff. not locking that you ground the brown wires, or the brown/white going to locking hubs, only problem I have br/w and gray I want to make sure before I cut any wires which one is the ground. Also it seems like everyone in the post had a speedometer, mine and my sons 98 did not when we bought them, was it an option. Thanks for your help.

Old 10-11-2015, 03:01 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Brn/white is the ground wire,grey is the hot wire. Older models just had a plain brown and grey. See if this helps.
Didn't have a speedo? Do you have the headlight pod? http://www.cyclepartswarehouse.com/f...1999&fveh=5486
Might be one of the ones that were stolen at our shop years ago. Burglars cut the fence,cut the plastic covering the old wooden crates they were in and pushed them out. They forgot the boxes in each crate that had the headlight pods and speedos that weren't assembled on these models. Kept on the lookout for anyone wanting to order a complete pod and speedo for several years after that..

Old 10-11-2015, 06:55 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks I will try it, I would like to have a speedo to but not bad enough to fork out $300. I appreciate all your help, I will let you know if it works.

Old 10-12-2015, 07:19 PM
Trailblazer

Well darnit it didn't work I have no power on the gray wire, tried to trace it out but to many bundles tied up, my Clymer doesn't show a gray at all, anyone know where the gray power wire comes off of, also the light at the top of the cluster that has the "lock" sign has power coming in to it but it doesn't light up until you ground the other side of the light. Thanks.

Old 10-12-2015, 07:35 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Since you're missing the speedo check for the speedo harness and for a brown/white wire. This is the awd ground that went through the speedo. Ground it to another brown or a good frame ground and see if you get power. Also check the gear case switches and connectors also as this is where the signal starts.Items 10,11.Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Polaris, Suzuki & Kawasaki OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse

Old 10-12-2015, 09:06 PM
Trailblazer

Would their be a open male or female connector where the speedo used to plug in? I'll check tomorrow after work. Thanks

Old 10-12-2015, 09:23 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Two female connectors going to the speedo. One 3 wire connector from the speed sensor(Black wire,white and red) ,one large female main speedo connector with a red/white,brown,black,yellow/red,brown/white wires. Items #5 and 40 on the parts break down.Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Polaris, Suzuki & Kawasaki OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse All you're interested in is the brown/white and brown wire in the large connector. Just jump them together and see if it helps on awd.

Old 10-14-2015, 07:29 PM
Trailblazer

I don't seem to have any speed sensors, only wire going to wheels is the hub wire running through the strut, cant find a plug for the speedo, I'm going to take the plastic off so I can get a better look at the wiring. Haven't had much time this week to get a better look at it Thanks again.

Old 10-14-2015, 08:24 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Just find a brown/white wire somewhere up there and ground it to a brown or to the frame. Sounds like someone has made a mess with the wiring..

Old 10-15-2015, 06:43 PM
Trailblazer

Will do.

Quick Reply: Ground wire question