Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Aftermarket carb???

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2016, 06:47 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket carb???

Is there a good aftermarket carb out there?? Looking for one for a 2000 Polaris sportsman. Tried rebuilding mine 2 times and no luck so far. Tired of messing with it.

Old 03-12-2016, 07:23 PM
Pro Rider

I think you have a Kehin CVT that is made in Japan. It's not a pos. I would check with the Polaris dealer if they don't have a carb wizard. Should only take an hour to rebuild and confirm it has the correct parts. My 2001 Arctic Cat 500 has a somewhat similar 34 mm Keihin CVT and my mechanic has had no problem tuning it for my racing cam, exhaust mod, K&N Filter, and 5 degree timing advance. Not only have I picked up more hp, but we've drilled the slide and put in a Dyno Jet kit. Mechanic has done "plug chops" to get A/F perfect, throttle response is instant, power and torque thru out the rpm range waay better than stock. You have a good Japanese carb, don't give up and put in a Chinese pos and risk damaging your motor. Hell if the Polaris dealer is clueless, try an AC one, maybe even a Kymco, Suzuki, Yamaha or Kawasaki dealer. For an hour's labor or less, I look for a carb guy, even Triumph or Harley Davidson dealer. GL

Old 03-12-2016, 07:55 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Polaris atvs used Mikuni carbs. Yours is the model BST34 and plenty of cheap knock offs for 100 bucks are on ebay rather than opting for a oem $400 Mikuni.New Polaris Sportsman 500 Carburetor 4x4 ATV Quad Carb 1999 2000 Non HO O | eBay Most carbs can be rebuilt if you're just frustrated with it.. Unless it's corroded or damaged taking it to someone experienced might be better unless it's a piece of crap.

Old 03-12-2016, 08:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Polaris atvs used Mikuni carbs. Yours is the model BST34 and plenty of cheap knock offs for 100 bucks are on ebay rather than opting for a oem $400 Mikuni.New Polaris Sportsman 500 Carburetor 4x4 ATV Quad Carb 1999 2000 Non HO O | eBay Most carbs can be rebuilt if you're just frustrated with it.. Unless it's corroded or damaged taking it to someone experienced might be better unless it's a piece of crap.
I seen those and thought about ordering one just wanted to see if anybody knew anything about them before I did. I've done a little research on them and have come up with mixed results. If they are a decent carb it sure beats spending $400 on a Mikuni. The mikuni that's on it will run if the choke is on all the time but as soon as you turn the choke and try to give it gas it Boggs down and dies. Any ideas?? I've adjusted it to the specs. And no luck

Old 03-12-2016, 08:07 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by rjarnold1987
I seen those and thought about ordering one just wanted to see if anybody knew anything about them before I did. I've done a little research on them and have come up with mixed results. If they are a decent carb it sure beats spending $400 on a Mikuni. The mikuni that's on it will run if the choke is on all the time but as soon as you turn the choke and try to give it gas it Boggs down and dies. Any ideas?? I've adjusted it to the specs. And no luck
Stopped up jets or passage ways. Having to run with the choke on is usually a sign of this.Plus do you have the air box and filter on? Reason I ask is that most Sportsmans wont run worth a crap without them as they're jetted for them being in place.

Old 03-12-2016, 08:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

Stopped up jets or passage ways. Having to run with the choke on is usually a sign of this.Plus do you have the air box and filter on? Reason I ask is that most Sportsmans wont run worth a crap without them as they're jetted for them being in place.
Yes the filter and box was on. It idles great until you hit the gas and it dies instantly.

Old 03-12-2016, 08:33 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by rjarnold1987
Yes the filter and box was on. It idles great until you hit the gas and it dies instantly.
Still can be jets,or a diaphragm assy may have a small hole in it or cracked,slide spring or needle may not be correct in the slide. Look over this fuel section from the manual on carbs. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...U2gGlaHJWSIlbA Plus look at the parts break down to see if you're missing anything.Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Polaris, Suzuki & Kawasaki OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse One other thing is to pull the fuel line from the carb and turn the engine over. Should have a steady or pulsing stream of fuel from the pump.If flow is weak,pump or inline filter(if you haven't haven't change it) could be stopped up,vacuum line from the carb to pump could be damaged, or even the fuel valve could be partially stopped up.Pumps are another cheap item you can get on ebay if needed. One last thing is since your model falls in the range of cam problems,have you checked the cam exhaust lobe for wear. It can cause similar problems. Usually a flattened cam will idle ok,just won't take fuel and back fire in a lot of cases.

Old 03-13-2016, 11:00 AM
Pro Rider

More than likely you still have a clogged pilot jet. If it runs well with the choke on, the diaphragm does not have a hole or tear in it but it could be assembled incorrectly. I recommend you purchase a rebuild kit....$20 or so, and install all new jets....

Old 03-14-2016, 05:32 PM
Pro Rider

Take your carb and get it rebuilt. You will better off than buying the offshore crap from ebay.

Old 12-13-2016, 07:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

New to forum need to talk to u old polaris tech

Quick Reply: Aftermarket carb???