Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

My 1996 sportsman 500 has some problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 09:14 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 1996 sportsman 500 has some problems

I have a 1996 sportsman 500 4x4 and my four wheel drive is not working the light wont come on wont inguage nothing ive traced wires and can find nothing wrong have replaced button and im lost and i see no where for an actuator dose anyone know whats going on any help is accepeted and i thank you in advance also we cleaned carb and put new plug in and i can ease into the throttle and it will run ok to about 35 or 40 mph then will bog down spit and sputter and i could hold throttle down and would pan out now it wont do that ir will just keep spitring and sputtering till i put it half throttle and from take off i have to ease into it or it will spit and spurrer and caint get over half throttle help please

Old 04-11-2016, 09:56 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

How about a period or comma here and there. If the awd light isn't kicking on when in gear,the most common thing was the switch in the gear selector not engaging or worn.Plus the older switch has been updated.Item#15. Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Polaris, Suzuki & Kawasaki OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse They're not cheap.Polaris New ATV Gear Selector Switch Sportsman Worker Xplorer 335 500 | eBay Another problem can be a faulty ground. You might try this first and see if the awd lights up.
As far as the carb goes on the sputtering,possible that the limiter has faulted. You can bypass it by pulling the BLACK wire from the reverse limiter module and see if it helps.Limiter is located underneath the cdi module. Item #31.Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Polaris, Suzuki & Kawasaki OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse If defeating the limiter doesn't help,then you may still have a carb problem. Best to install a carb kit for your model and also make sure all passages are clean and clear. Cheap kits are hard to find for 96-98 models.This kit will work,but check that the main jet is the same. If not you can use your old one.http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polaris-Spor...FWxi13&vxp=mtr