Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Someone..please help me with my Trail blazer...

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-1999, 01:47 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought a 97 TB..the thing is in excellent condition..i only paid 1,400.

Well i rode it down the road before i bought it. It ran perfect..loads of power..i took it home..started it up took it down the road. I stopped and looked underneath of it and there was ALOT of fluid leaking out from..well looks like behind the sprocket. the tranmission is now empty.

What the heck is wrong?! And how do i fix it. I just blew all my money buying it..so i have to do the work myself.(yes i've done this sorta stuff before, just not on a polaris)

Does anyone out there have a break down diagram that is online? that would really help!

If anyone out there knows what is going on..please post it here..or e-mail me at aaron@1st.net or if you are on AOL i can be reached at Aaron2375

Thank you for your time..

Old 10-03-1999, 01:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

Shoulda Bought yamaha! Just kidding, Uhh The only advice i can give is ask the Polaris experts(Hah good luck)

------------------

Old 10-03-1999, 02:12 PM
Pro Rider

Help; The problem that you have is a bad transmission output seal. The seal is located behind the countershaft sprocket and is not that difficult to change . I keep one of these seals in stock at the shop all the time this is about the only seal that you ever see fail on the Polaris. Ussually it is due to something getting wrapped around the countershaft and cutting the seal. (Example,wire ,limbs,fishingline) If you need any further info on this post back here and I will be happy to answer what I can.

------------------
Kevin Gowdy aka Kagey 1999 Polaris Magnum 500

Old 10-03-1999, 02:12 PM
Trailblazer

You can always go to a dealer and get a manual on your machine. There are some people in this forum that actually want to help each other (not like that yamaha a**hole in the reply above). Look for a guy who calls himself Kagey. He seems to know his stuff. Good luck.

Chris

------------------

Old 10-03-1999, 02:19 PM
Pro Rider

Help,
Yep, sounds like you tore your output shaft seal. Its easy and cheap to replace, just pull the cover and brake assembly off (I think the brakes are located at the countershaft like my Scrambler) pull the two bolts that hold the output shaft support bushing/bearing. Loosen your chain and pull the snap-ring, brake disc, and countershaft gear off, and the seal should be staring you in the face. Just replace it and clean everything up and reinstall in the reverse order of removal. While you're there, you might replace the chain slider that is located on the top of the swingarm (if worn)
Good Luck!!... And if you dont wanna fix it, I'll give ya back that 1400 you invested....lololololol.....

Old 10-03-1999, 02:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the fast reply.

I have a dealer that is about 10 minutes from my house. I will pick the seal up tommorrow.

Now is there a site or someone out there that is willing to type out the process.

Also what type of oil goes in the transmission. The book says polaris(something) isn't there just some type of regular oil i can use?

Also the stuff leaking is REALLY thin could the stuff just be bad and leaking through? Its been sitting since the end of the summer of 97'.

Thanks again for the fast reply! 4-wheelers aren't my really my thing..if any of you need help with any type of firearm i'll be more than happy to help you out.

Old 10-03-1999, 02:38 PM
Pro Rider

The process of changing the seal is not at all difficult and the only special tool you will really need is snap ring pliers ( You are a gunsmith so I know you,ve got that)everything else is pretty self explanitory just like the mudman said above. As for the oil I have always tried to use the Polaris oil but in a pinch one time when I ran out and had a guy with a 300 4x4 wanting his ride I used DexronIII transmission fluid ,that was 3 years ago and he,s not changed it yet and the thing still runs like a top.Hey Chris P. thanks for the endorsement. How about that synchronized posting we did.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Kagey (edited 10-03-1999).]

Old 10-03-1999, 06:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

well, its not the seal. A friend of mine came over and was looking at it. He had a bottle of fluid and we filled it up..started it up and it was just blowing out of the hole. We took a tube of JB weld and smeared it all over. I think its going to hold..what do you guys think?

Thanks for your time!

and when i was taking off the parts to replace the seal you guys had it explained just right!

Old 10-03-1999, 07:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

aron the best thing you can do is find a good buddy to buy that and go to your nearest HONDA dealer and buy a 300 ex

Old 10-03-1999, 08:45 PM
Pro Rider

Was the hole where something went through the housing or was there something(like a bolt )missing? Also the JB weld I have JB on the transfer case of a 87 Chevy pickup where I knocked a hole in it in 1989 and it has not leaked since must be good stuff. .................Whats a Honda guy doing with a name like Tecate? ?????????? You don,t get much more Kawasaki than that.

------------------

Quick Reply: Someone..please help me with my Trail blazer...