Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

1993 Sportsman?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2016, 08:28 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1993 Sportsman?

Did they make a sportsman model in 1993? I just picked up a fourwheeler last night that the guy labeled as a 1994 sportsman 400. When I went to look at it, I noticed it looked similar to my 95 sportsman, but the engine looked like a 350 to me. Green plastic was the same, but the decals were different with no engine call out decal like the 400 and it had green rims instead of black. The shifter and transmission was the same as what is in my 95 sportsman and not like the shifter that is on my 93 350L. Is this an oddball or did they really make a 93 sportsman 350? I thought the two stroke sportsmans were limited to the 94 to 97 years and were all 400's. The guy who owned it bought it earlier this summer from his neighbor so he could trail ride with his wife. He rode it for the first time and put about 30 miles on it and then it died. He fiddled with the fuel valve and it started up on reserve so he thought it was just a plugged fuel valve. the next time he rode it, it died again half way into his trip and wouldnt start regardless of how much the valve was moved so he had to be towed back to the trailer. He just assumed it needed a valve so he went to the dealer and got an oem one but decided to sell the machine instead to recoup his money. I looked at it about a week ago but threw him an offer because it would not start but he didnt bite. He called me back a week later and said he was willing to deal some because his "mechanic" brother in law tried to get it running but gave up. I shot him a low offer and he bit so i brought it home. I basically bought it for the brand new polaris cover he bought for it and the tires which were about 3/4 tread. I figure I will tear into the motor to see what is up with it. It has no compression so i will check why that is and make sure the bottom end is ok. Everything is tight on the machine so it wasnt abused. Good plastic, seat has a small tear and even came with a decent windshield. I'm not really out anything if the motor is junk. Is the 350 similar to the 400? I know the crank seals are listed as the same but are the rest of the engine gaskets the same? I dont have a manual for the older models like the 350, only for the 94 on up so if its similar, I shouldnt have a problem doing this one if it is like the 400's I have worked on.

Thanks,
Mike

Old 10-04-2016, 08:33 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

First Sportsman that came out.. Should read W938039 on the frame down tube. Difference is the piston diameter and cylinder and the intake boot may be different,can't remember off hand,and doesn't have a dip stick for the counter balancer fluid check.. All the other parts are basically the same as the 400.

Old 10-04-2016, 09:39 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks OPT,

I kinda figured it was a 350 since i couldnt find the counter balance dipstick, but i wasnt sure if some of the early 400's didnt have them either. The recoil housing is the same as my 93 350L too, so that was a giveaway. I plan on putting my endoscope down in the cylinder tomorrow to see what the piston looks like. Hopefully no surprises. I havent done a compression test on it, but really didnt feel the need since i can pull the recoil with very little resistance. What would cause a running motor go to little or no compression in just one ride? It turns over freely with no binding or bad noises, just the "thugthugthug" of the piston sound coming out of the exhaust. I would think that if the cylinder was slowly loosing its tolerance, that it would still have some compression that would be noticeable when pulling the recoil. Hopefully its nothing major and maybe I can salvage this one instead of parting it out.

Thanks,
Mike

Old 10-05-2016, 06:43 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Pistons usually don't go out all at one time,usually wear out over a period of time. Owners may overlook the tell tale signs of marbles in a tin can sound when piston clearances increase or the out right slapping noise that some make and just ride them until they quit. I've heard this all before about pistons going out.Some yes if over heated from fans not kicking on,jetted too lean,air leaks,etc may come to a quick halt. I've even had some people say "I was putting along and it just died.. What happened?" Tore them down and a lot were seized all around or had piston skirt breakage. Oem pistons just weren't reliable and didn't last as long as a good forged piston. Go with Wiseco if it needs a rebuild.