Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris faces lawsuit for melting plastic!

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2016, 01:42 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by scootergptx
The same people always benefit from a class action suit. The lawyers.
You got that right. They'll be rich while the other people get chump change. I've been in a class action lawsuit before and didn't get much.

Old 10-11-2016, 02:58 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 168 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by jumbofrank
You got that right. They'll be rich while the other people get chump change. I've been in a class action lawsuit before and didn't get much.
Last one I was involved with was one against Hewlett Packard. I got a coupon for $6. Pretty sure the lawyers got cash for their part.

Old 10-12-2016, 12:16 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm glad I found this thread. I was going to try and get financing on a 2015 low mileage, Polaris Sportsman 850 later this week. Maybe I wont now.

Old 10-12-2016, 01:11 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bottom line is it's been an issue for years on a number of Polaris machines which has never really been addressed/fixed. This is a huge issue with the bigger bore machines. Shouldn't have to spend the $ on a pricey exhaust and/or tuner to get the temps down within reason. Glad I addressed it on my Highlifter 1000 and got the GSE exhaust when it was still new.

Shore-if you get the 850 all you need is a good slip-on exhaust and coolant additive which does wonders for keeping the temps down.

Definitely agree Polaris should step up on the warranty and go at least a year so it will hopefully get ridden enough to find any potential issues.

Old 10-12-2016, 08:12 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!

I'd still get the 850. But I'd be sure to mention the problems it may cause for you and tell them to knock some more off the price.

Old 10-12-2016, 09:55 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wouldn't it just be easier to just give the customer a free fix as in a slip on exhaust? The cost for Polaris would actually be less in the long run and would actually benefit the customer more. This lawsuit will drag on for years and the customer will get probably 10 bucks. They should have treated this like a recall instead. But who cares about what's best for the customer right? Polaris can't win this lawsuit because they know this has been an ongoing problem for years.

Old 10-12-2016, 01:21 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

I don't think a few bucks back or coupons are going to solve this matter now. Hoping they at least get someone that knows how to design a good exhaust system and replace ALL affected units. Polaris has had the hot exhaust problem ever since they came out with the 700 and 800s and people complained then and still do. Even in 2007 on the 500s we had to install updated exhaust shields and more heat wrap on the first ones out for about 6 months or so because of melted plastic. I got sick of having to do that. I blame part on the exhaust system and part on the design changes that allowed the exhaust too close to anything that could melt in the first place.

Old 10-12-2016, 01:39 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!

Didn't Polaris sell an aftermartket slip on from White Bros? I got an e series and it made the quad sound better, but the weld on the inlet pipe to the body broke after 2 years. Trade on problem for another.

Old 10-12-2016, 01:51 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

I remember one for the Predator and Scrambler,but I know they had after market exhausts for several models before that,but the old brain is slowly dying on that one..

Old 10-12-2016, 02:03 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!

I didn't get mine through Polaris and it was tagged as White Bros.

Pretty generic fit. Did have the tunable disc system.

Quick Reply: Polaris faces lawsuit for melting plastic!