Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sportsman 850 Rebuild video. We

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2016, 06:38 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by greg74
Probably the worst will be these new high hp turbo utvs. I give them about 5 years before either the engine or turbo need work. A lot of it will be the owner's fault though. People will buy them and drive them like they're in Nascar. Just because a machine can run 85 mph doesn't mean you should drive it that fast all the time. But they will pin the throttle because they can and the abuse will be hard on engines and drivetrain that are already stressed.
And when this happens these are the same people that come in acting like they're wearing a halo around their heads and when you ask questions the typical person will say "I wasn't doing nothing but going slow down a trail and the engine blew. I can spot these people in an instant after dealing with the public so many years.Same as this mad owner that said he was going slow and the engine died.I drained the oil while he was there because none showed on the dip stick. May have had half a quart and thick like Stp. His tone suddenly changed on this and even more so when I tore the engine apart. This is the souvenir I brought home with me as a result of "slow trail riding" Maybe it did happen when he was trail riding,but the damage was already done,but with people like this you can't get any info out of them as to what they were doing before any major problem happened.

Attached Thumbnails Sportsman 850 Rebuild video. We-s5000476.jpg   Sportsman 850 Rebuild video. We-s5000477.jpg  
Old 11-18-2016, 08:42 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
And when this happens these are the same people that come in acting like they're wearing a halo around their heads and when you ask questions the typical person will say "I wasn't doing nothing but going slow down a trail and the engine blew. I can spot these people in an instant after dealing with the public so many years.Same as this mad owner that said he was going slow and the engine died.I drained the oil while he was there because none showed on the dip stick. May have had half a quart and thick like Stp. His tone suddenly changed on this and even more so when I tore the engine apart. This is the souvenir I brought home with me as a result of "slow trail riding" Maybe it did happen when he was trail riding,but the damage was already done,but with people like this you can't get any info out of them as to what they were doing before any major problem happened.
That is the reason why I will not loan my out. "Oh, iits a 400, it cant go that fast, impossible to blow up." Right, does nto matter.

I agree on the turbos, when they start needing work, it will get pricey.

Old 11-18-2016, 09:34 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't let anyone else ride any of my stuff either. If you want to ride, buy your own. I have made that mistake in the past and have had friends abuse them. Its easy to not care if its not yours. I don't ride anyone else's stuff either unless I am considering buying it. I don't want something to break and then they blame me even though it was probably their fault for already abusing the machine. I would pay for the repairs but I'd rather not have it ever happen in the first place.
Running a machine wide open often will kill any engine. I don't know why people think an atv or utv is any different than any other vehicle. The only thing you can run wide open and not blow it up is very small 2-stroke engines like on a chainsaw. They're made to rev to the moon and take it.

Old 11-18-2016, 07:01 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree. And these are the same folks that abuse thrn part out a 2 year old machine.

I also do not understand the fascination with wheelies? A waste of my time...lol

Old 11-19-2016, 08:49 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If I'm doing a wheelie, its not on purpose. I'm not saying I don't like having fun when I go out riding. But as watch a lot of these atv fail videos, the reason most of them crash is because they were trying to show off. Riding is dangerous enough without adding your own element of danger to it trying to impress someone that probably could care less anyway.