Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Looking to "Crank up HP" a bit, any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2016, 06:11 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to "Crank up HP" a bit, any suggestions?

Hi,

I have a 2003 carb Polaris Sportsman 700. I am looking to see what I can do to add some Power to my machine. I don't trail ride with it, I use it for Utility work around my fishing resort. I haul and drag a lot of dock sections, boat lifts etc.

I am looking for any ideas or suggestions you guys might have to increase the Horsepower or power in general to make work like dragging boat lifts and such around a bit easier. So I am just wondering what you guys think I could do or add to it, short of a new motor, to give it some more power. I am not looking for speed, just power or torque.

I have not done much to it in the 6 or so years that I have owned it. Just regular maintenance type things, fluid changes, u-joints and boots, the electrical system upgrade for that flawed one they put in at the factory and that's about it. I am going to rebuild the Water pump area because I have some oil in my antifreeze and that appears to be the problem, that seal in there. I might start that tonight.

Also, a couple of things I have noticed with it is a clunking when taking off or moving slowly, I have read that they do have some normal clunking like that but not sure. After changing all the fluids I am also having a bit of a problem "finding" reverse. Before I used to just pop it in "R", now it seems to be touchy and I have to "feel" for it to get it into Reverse even if the display says I am in Reverse. A couple of times it even popped out of Reverse. This is the only gear this happens in.

Any help or suggestions you guys might have would be appreciated. I have been reading this forum for several years but this is my first actual post lol.

Old 12-24-2016, 06:58 PM
Back Country Explorer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome wild walleye. I read between the lines and wonder if you are located on a Minnesota lake, running a fishing resort? I can see where an ATV would be handy for the work you describe. We lived in Minnesota for 25 years and loved it. Family situation led us to Colorado.

I wonder how many hours on your machine?

ATVs don't pull a lot of weight, maybe 1500 pounds. I don't know what the drawbar pull actually is. Maybe your machine has seen better days and is due for an overhaul? Does it use oil? Have you checked the compression of the engine? Water in the oil sometimes indicates a head gasket leak.

Does your ATV have a CVT? If so, belt slip may also rob pulling power.

Actually, I'm only "brain storming" (more like brain drizzle) trying to stimulate some thinking and also get your thread to the top of the list again. The "old polaris tech" might chime in with better suggestions. He is a real expert in ATVs.

David

Old 12-24-2016, 08:03 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

On the shifting problem might be time to check the small gears,spring and detent on the outer shift quadrant. Most get corroded up over time and the covers can warp. Similar thing this guy went through.Hard to Shift 700 Sportsman 2004 - Polaris ATV Forum Clunking is kind of normal on the these twins but would hurt to jack it up and check the cv joints. Even better with all 4 wheels up and the check the prop shaft u-joints play also.
As far as rebuilding the water pump do it right. Remove the flywheel and stator and just remove the cover so you replace both the water pump seal and oil seal correctly. If you try like some of the lazy do it your selfers and use pliers and picks you can bend the water pump shaft and then the cost goes up. Some people swapped over to 800 exhaust systems and aftermarket mufflers. Plus plenty of clutch kits out their that can help.https://epiperformance.com/sportsman-10/ Dalton | Polaris ATV / UTV Products DBW 700

Old 12-24-2016, 08:14 PM
Back Country Explorer

There you go walleye, the old polaris tech came to my rescue. He knows every nut and bolt in these machines. Thanks...

David

Old 12-24-2016, 08:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yes, I am on Rush Lake by Ottertail, Mn.

My Sportsman has about 2300 miles. It still has good power, but I just am looking to see if there are any mods or tricks people have done or come across to gain a bit more from their machines. It can drag a metal boat lift across the yard down to the lake but it does labor some. I should probably get an 800 or 850 but that would make too much sense lol.

I have never seen it use oil at all, not on the dipstick or thru the exhaust. I was thinking head gasket as well, but some guys on here told me since there is oil in the coolant and not coolant in the oil to check the water pump seal and that appears to be the issue.

I have never changed the belt and have smelt the burning of it from time to time, that was something I was going to do as well when I do the Water Pump.

I appreciate anything people can recommend, really this is the only good way to come up with ideas because if you go to any products website of course they are going to push and recommend their products even if they aren't that reliable lol. Thanks for your Brain Drizzling, it's more than I had before.

Old 12-24-2016, 08:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks Old Polaris Tech. I will check out the Shifter parts you recommended.

I just replaced all the U-Joints as several did have slop in them.

The CV joints all seemed tight yet.

It is really hard to nail down where the clunk is actually originating from. It seems to move from front to back depending on where I listen from but everything runs smoothly with it other than the clunk noise. When I changed my fluids this fall, there were no large amounts of metal in the fluids or on the drain plug magnets and the fluids were not discolored. I do the oil a couple of times a year regardless of how few miles I put on it and I change the other fluids every 2 years. I use the Polaris fluids except the oil, I run Mobile.

I will take notice of how I change those seals out and not do it the lazy way. Last thing I need is additional work lol.

I will check out the rest of the stuff as well. I figured a different exhaust might help, but never thought about a clutch kit. Thanks for your suggestions and the links.

Old 12-24-2016, 10:30 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

AAEN has a few mods that you may or may not be interested in. Aaen Performance - Polaris ATV Sportsman 700

Old 12-25-2016, 07:10 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best bang for your buck on pulling is a clutch kit. Sounds like you use it a lot so I'd suggest upgrading to a newer ride like the 800/850. EFI made a huge difference on these machines. You can clutch, pipe, and send the ecu to RVS performance and make them even better. Plenty of deals out there this time of year for wheelers since everyone has sleds on the brain here in Northern MN. Just picked up a loaded 2013 Can Am XMR 650 with only 1000 miles, plow, and a few extra goodies for $5650! Take a look on craigslist-tons of machines on there right now.

Old 12-25-2016, 08:28 AM
Back Country Explorer

Hello again walleye. What a coincidence. My wife's family lived in Battle Lake for decades. We have spent many happy days visiting there. Her sister has a "lake home" there and plans on relaxing retirement years on the lake. Her husband loves to fish. Fergus Falls is one of my favorite small towns. We have fished on Rush Lake as well as Ottertail Lake, but Battle Lake is home.

Minnesota is a wonderful state.

You sound like you know your machine quite well. I was thinking the U joints and CV joints may be a source of the clunking. But now I wonder if the shifting problem isn't a cause. Maybe the transmission isn't fully engaged when the vehicle starts to move.

David

Old 12-25-2016, 08:33 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

If you want torque, you can gear it down. (smaller front sprocket/bigger rear)