Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Broken Wire ID and Fuse in Spark Plug Cap? - No Spark

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 09:00 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Yea that could have something to do with it if the stator wires are burnt.

Old 05-05-2017, 09:36 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It works!!!!!!!!!!! I struggle to think of a moment I have felt so relieved/accomplished haha. The past 2 weeks have been such a great learning experience and I am much more confident in trying to fix things thanks to the great advice of OPT and others on this forum. Thank you!!

For anyone else with a no-spark who reads this in the future:

Problem: No Spark Polaris Sportsman 400HO 2013

Tried (didn't fix but might for you)-(ohm standards listed in service manual- worth buying!):
- replaced spark plug
- repaired burnt brown ground wire near CDI by soldering it
- Ohm + continuity tested red spark plug boot
- Ohm + continuity tested ignition coil and did primary/secondary test,
- Ohms test on Stator and pulse coil
- Checked resistance of each stator leg(.43 in book - I got .6)ohms) by testing yellow wires at connector that plugs into CDI.
- Cut black "kill" wire which didn't fix but instead stopped function of all electronics. Spliced it back together and engine turns over but still no spark
- Charged battery and tested voltage at 12.8
- Battery load test (11v)

Solution
- I then took off all the plastic bumpers on the quad (not necessarily needed but how I spotted problem) and uncrewed and cleaned all grounds to frame. While doing so I noticed a black tube (filled with wires that go from stator to the cdi) was resting on the metal tab that connects big red wire to frame ground - this is located just behind and left of battery

- I noticed corrosion on the tab and looked up on the black tube and noticed it was burnt through!

-I unplugged from cdi and pulled it out from the front so I had more slack and could pull it through to where it connects to the stator.

- Noticed another larger hole beside that and sure enough BOTH brown ground wires were burnt right through!

- Yellow wires were still intact which is why when I had done the stator resistance test a couple days earlier nothing looked out of place

Over the moon that I have successfully sorted this out as I am living in the Northern Canadian bush with no access to a mechanic. When I can get to a mechanic in a week or so I am having the wiring replaced and repaired "properly" (don't trust my solder and electrical tape job to hold for long)

Again thank you to OPT and this amazing community and I hope this helps someone in the future. I am "no mechanical at all" and if I could fix this - anyone with basic motor skills, a multimeter, soldering iron, electrical tape and a socket set can too!

Thanks everyone!