Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Broken Wire ID and Fuse in Spark Plug Cap? - No Spark

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 09:13 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Broken Wire ID and Fuse in Spark Plug Cap? - No Spark

Hi everyone,

I have been trying to figure out why I have no spark in my 2013 400HO. I have tried a new spark plug and tested it and it also wont spark. I will post the link below to a broken brown wire I found that I cannot identify. https://ibb.co/duxfFk

On another forum I found someone who said there is actually a fuse inside the spark plug cap. Does anyone know how I'd actually get at it? No Spark,but cranks.2012 400 sportsman Carb - Polaris ATV Forum

I am working/living in Northern Canada in isolation for a few weeks until the river breaks and we can get across back to civilization. I can get it to a shop then but any help now would be fantastic as I would love to try and fix this asap.

Old 04-27-2017, 09:36 AM
Trailblazer

Reading the service manual I think I have narrowed it down to the brown wire (broken) being between the "power ground stop" and the ignition coil. I have it wrapped to itself yet still getting no spark so I wonder if it could be the fuse in the spark plug cap?

Old 04-27-2017, 09:58 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Just about all models now have resistor plug boots. This was to mainly stop interference in radios,tvs,etc from the ignition systems. Pull the plug boot from the coil wire,lay the wire against the cylinder and crank the engine over. If you have a strong spark,ohm out the plug boot. These are 5k ohm boots and resistors can fail.If your resistance reading isn't close to to 5k ohms,probably the boot needs to be replaced.You don't have to get the 50 buck oem boot. Amazon has them along with MFG Supply.195160 - Spark Plug Cap & Wire for Polaris ATVs | ATV Parts | MFG Supply

Old 04-27-2017, 10:00 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks to your advice I bought and looked in the service manual and found this is my issue (red arrow is where the break is) : https://ibb.co/mrF9ak .

Old 04-27-2017, 10:02 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Just about all models now have resistor plug boots. This was to mainly stop interference in radios,tvs,etc from the ignition systems. Pull the plug boot from the coil wire,lay the wire against the cylinder and crank the engine over. If you have a strong spark,ohm out the plug boot. These are 5k ohm boots and resistors can fail.If your resistance reading isn't close to to 5k ohms,probably the boot needs to be replaced.You don't have to get the 50 buck oem boot. Amazon has them along with MFG Supply.195160 - Spark Plug Cap & Wire for Polaris ATVs | ATV Parts | MFG Supply
Sorry for my ignorance but how do I pull the spark plug boot from the coil wire. Do I simply try to tug the red boot away from the black cable?

Old 04-27-2017, 10:06 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by Proteus05
Thanks to your advice I bought and looked in the service manual and found this is my issue (red arrow is where the break is) : https://ibb.co/mrF9ak .
If the ground wire was the problem,then no need to pull the plug boot unless you want to. It just twists off. Ohm out each end. Should show around 4.97 or so if the boot is ok. Then you can just screw it back onto the plug wire tight.

Old 04-27-2017, 10:09 AM
Trailblazer

I wonder could the broken ground wire may have been a RESULT of another problem like the spark plug boot or the ignition coil?

After work going to remove the boot and test the coil wire. Do I simply touch it directly to the cylinder like you instructed for the spark plugs and turn the key?

Old 04-27-2017, 10:13 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Lay it against the cylinder and crank the engine over. Should be a good spark from the plug wire.

Old 04-27-2017, 10:20 AM
Trailblazer

Thank you so much for the help! Will try this straight after work today.

Old 04-27-2017, 11:17 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
I just got my hands on a multimeter. Could you walk me through how I actually check this resistance? Thank you so much apologies for being so naive.