Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2017 Polaris 850SP Touring - Cooler Rack?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 06:51 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
The lack of rear rack space when you have the passenger seat on the Touring is one of the reasons I went with the Can-Am Outlander Max. Polaris does have bags that go on either side of the rear seat but they aren't too big. Personally, I would get the front rack box to store a lot of stuff under the front rack it it doesn't already have it. Then I would mount a decent box up front.

Here is one box for the Touring. Expensive though: Wes Industries 122-0035 Touring Polaris EPS De Luxe ATV Seat w/ heated grips | eBay

Here are two side boxes that are bigger than what Polaris offers: Sportsman 550/850 Touring Rear Box

This might work as it attaches with Velcro: Polaris ATV Semi-Rigid Rear Cargo Rack Bag Sportsman Touring 500 570 800 2877220
Awesome. Thank you! I'm leaning towards the semi-ridgid cargo bags. How'd you find all these? I scoured the Internet for stuff like this.

What I REALLY need is a cooler rack solution. Can you help with that?

Scott

Old 05-02-2017, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by boulderskies
Awesome. Thank you! I'm leaning towards the semi-ridgid cargo bags. How'd you find all these? I scoured the Internet for stuff like this.

What I REALLY need is a cooler rack solution. Can you help with that?

Scott
Just did a search with Polaris Touring Rear Cargo as the search. Not sure on the cooler mounting.

I tried a lot of things for having a cooler with me. I got one of these from Coleman: http://www.coleman.com/24-can-party-...oolers#start=4

I used a ratchet strap to hold it down. I also cut a couple notches in the rim of the plastic so the strap wouldn't slide off. Works fairly well. Sons got me a Yeti cooler and I just strap it down behind me when I don't have the passenger seat in place. If I have my wife along I go with the Coleman Party Stacker as I can see over it.
With the Yeti:

Old 05-02-2017, 12:16 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd just get the bigger box that was mentioned earlier and get a smaller soft cooler(or 2) and put it inside it. That's what I have done, I recently bought this bag(the black one) from rocky mountain atv https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...k#ReviewsPanel and bought a small soft cooler from walmart to fit inside it. I still have plenty of room to put other stuff in it. Not sure if this bag will fit your Sportsman Touring model but it seems to be a pretty nice bag for the price.

Old 05-02-2017, 01:34 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My cooler looks like this except for the color. http://www.rubbermaid.com/en-US/shop...ationContainer

Mine is green with a maroon handle and white lid, both of which I spray painted green to match the rest of the cooler. It's supposed to hold 26 cans as compared to 24 cans in the Coleman that Moose has. So the capacity is about the same but the shape is way different.

Most of my friends carry small 6-pack coolers filled with cans of beer. If you're taking anything in cans they work great and they can carry more than 1 cooler in their cargo boxes. But when I tried to put bottles of pop in one of mine I was disappointed. I don't remember if it was 1/2 liter bottles or 20 ounce bottles, I think only 1/2 liter, and I could barely fit 2 bottles in my 6-pack cooler. I drink a lot more than 1 liter during a day's riding.

I switched from bottles of pop to quarts of Powerade and Gatorade and couldn't even get 1 bottle in one of the small coolers. I can stand 6 quarts of Powerade up side by side in my Rubbermaid cooler and they fit just right so they don't move around much. Unless I hit the bumps too hard then they can flip over. There's enough room on top of those 6 bottles to fit 2 more in lying down.

I usually carry 6 quarts with me and sometimes the younger guys I ride with will put their 2 bottles in there too. If I do have 8 bottles in it I can put a regular bath towel on top of them to keep them from bouncing around. It works really well.

Because of the shape of the cooler it doesn't take up as much rack space as other coolers with similar capacities. I can easily fit a 2 gallon gas can on either side of the cooler. All of that together takes up pretty much the whole rack. Most of the time I just take the cooler and no gas. I haven't seen a cargo box yet that my cooler will fit in either so I don't have one.

I didn't plan on writing a novel about coolers but there ya go.