Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2017 Polaris 850SP Touring - Cooler Rack?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 10:45 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool 2017 Polaris 850SP Touring - Cooler Rack?

Hey,

Just purchased a new 850SP 2UP. Its quite a machine-smooth, powerful and very capable. Electronic power steering is really nice for us old guys...And the wife likes the ride too-a rare and big plus...Only real downside I've found so far is the extreme lack of cargo space and challenge to add some.

So, looking for suggestions:

* Cooler rack: What are owners of this bike doing for cooler carrying capability? I'm going to add the rear rack but that's really just a bar running around the edge of the rear platform, about 6" high and maybe 6" from second seat back. Anybody have any ideas for connecting a cargo rack to such a bar???

* Flats: Alternatives seem to be Slime, Fix-A-Flat as needed and inner tube. So far consensus around my area is Slime. Thoughts on this?

* ATV Accessories: Suggestions for good quality accessories? There seem to be a lot of outlets online and I have a feeling a fair amount of crap. Thoughts?

Thanks y'all.

Scott

Old 04-30-2017, 01:20 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It doesn't have a real rear rack? There should at least be something you can bungey a cooler to and be able to haul it. I know Polaris has gone to the composite racks and I'm not a big fan of those. Steel racks are easier to tie things down to. I'm sure there's some kind of lock and ride box you can put on the rear. I recently bought a cheap bag to strap onto the rear rack of my Brute Force and I simply put a small soft cooler inside of it if I want to bring one. I put my cooler in the bag, some tools, tow strap, zip ties, etc. I think having a bag or box mounted on your rear rack is more useful for cargo carrying capacity. Once its secured, you can simply throw whatever you want to bring inside of it. If you want to haul something large and bulky, you can remove it if needed as well.

Old 04-30-2017, 03:24 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No ideas on the rack.

If you're riding someplace you expect to get flats, like running over thorns and sharp rocks all the time, go with the slime. I don't ride in those conditions and don't use slime. I just carry an ATV tire repair kit with CO2 inflator similar to this one. Slime also makes a couple of different kits that would work. https://www.genuineinnovations.com/u...repair-kit.php

Old 05-01-2017, 06:11 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jumbofrank
No ideas on the rack.

If you're riding someplace you expect to get flats, like running over thorns and sharp rocks all the time, go with the slime. I don't ride in those conditions and don't use slime. I just carry an ATV tire repair kit with CO2 inflator similar to this one. Slime also makes a couple of different kits that would work. https://www.genuineinnovations.com/u...repair-kit.php
I like that mini-inflator kit. Kool stuff. I'll research that...thank you!

Want to do something a little more permanent/substantial than a bags for cooler.

Scott

Old 05-01-2017, 12:27 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

The lack of rear rack space when you have the passenger seat on the Touring is one of the reasons I went with the Can-Am Outlander Max. Polaris does have bags that go on either side of the rear seat but they aren't too big. Personally, I would get the front rack box to store a lot of stuff under the front rack it it doesn't already have it. Then I would mount a decent box up front.

Here is one box for the Touring. Expensive though: Wes Industries 122-0035 Touring Polaris EPS De Luxe ATV Seat w/ heated grips | eBay

Here are two side boxes that are bigger than what Polaris offers: Sportsman 550/850 Touring Rear Box

This might work as it attaches with Velcro: Polaris ATV Semi-Rigid Rear Cargo Rack Bag Sportsman Touring 500 570 800 2877220

Old 05-01-2017, 12:29 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

Slime makes a very small compressor that works great on ATV tires. https://www.slime.com/us/products/au...ower-sport.php I carry that and a bunch of plugs and glue. Never have come back with a flat yet. Gotten a few and that combination works for me.

Old 05-01-2017, 12:48 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I didn't realize the seat took up pretty much the entire space the rear rack should have. I guess the only way to get to use the rear rack is to remove the rear seat.

Old 05-01-2017, 03:34 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

Originally Posted by greg74
I didn't realize the seat took up pretty much the entire space the rear rack should have. I guess the only way to get to use the rear rack is to remove the rear seat.
Big reason I bought the Outlander Max. Has a bunch of space behind the passenger seat. Can get a large box from Can-Am.

Old 05-01-2017, 04:11 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
Big reason I bought the Outlander Max. Has a bunch of space behind the passenger seat. Can get a large box from Can-Am.

Yep, these are all the reasons we went to a small side x side rather than the ATVs. More comfort and ability to carry whatever we wanted.

Old 05-01-2017, 06:03 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In this link that Moose posted picture number 3 shows a gas can on a little rack. It should be able to hold a small cooler instead. Sportsman 550/850 Touring Rear Box

They make a rack extender for older Touring models. Maybe someone makes one for the new Touring. Rear Rack Extender Sportsman 550/850 Touring