Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Thoughts on a 2000 Trail Boss 325?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 03:20 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts on a 2000 Trail Boss 325?

My daughter has finally pestered me enough to sell her my nice little 2002 Trailblazer so I am in the market for another project to fix up. I found a 2000 Trail Boss that I can get for almost nothing because a lady is selling it after her divorce. It ran when parked two years ago but ex hubby decided to take all the plastic and racks off it to do something with the wiring. Aside from some fresh fluids and a carb rebuild, I will have quite a bit of assembly to make it whole again. What are some things to look at on these machines? I know they are little oil cooled four strokes but are they worth anything and reliable? I'm not worried about losing money on it because I am not paying too much for it and I can sell the plastic off it and still come out ahead.

Thanks,
Mike

Old 05-12-2017, 04:19 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

First year model on the 325. Oil cooler lines had an update kit that was supposed to be installed in place of the barb fitting and clamps at the oil filter base. Several reports of lines blowing and I had a couple myself.Both had to have new crank shafts installed. Should have screw on fittings at the oil filter base and regular slip on fittings at the oil cooler and clamps.Also the thermistor sensor on the oil coolers were bad about shorting out as well as the LR60 thermistor switch module that's about 160 bucks. That may be why he had the plastic off checking wiring? My two cents would be to do away with both as the fan was programmed to kick on at 260 degrees and off at 240.Most people never had the fans come on unless super hot.You could disregard the fan or place it on a toggle if you wished.Not the most powerful thing out there but quite a few were sold. 2002 the engine was upped to a 330. Not much difference in the two. The 325/330 basically was the 4 stroke replacement for the old 250 stroke that was being phased out of the line up.

Old 05-13-2017, 12:54 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks OPT,

the wife didn't know why the reason was that the ex hubby decided to look at the wiring. She said it ran and drove fine but her ex like to always tinker so he pulled it all apart so hopefully I'm not opening a can of worms.
What are the compression specs I should be in for a good motor? I will bring my compression tester along just to see how the too end stands. I can't find anything online about it. I heard that some of these smaller four strokes are hard to find pistons for but wasn't sure if it was the 325 or the 335.

Thanks,
Mike

Old 05-13-2017, 07:38 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

COMPRESSION TEST
NOTE: This Polaris 4-Stroke engine is equipped with
an automatic decompression device. Compression readings
will vary in proportion to cranking speed during the
test. Average compression (measured) is about
70--90 psi during a compression test.
Smooth idle generally indicates good compression.
Low engine compression is rarely a factor in running
condition problems above idle speed. Abnormally
high compression can be caused by a decompressor
malfunction, or worn or damaged exhaust cam lobes.
Inspect camshaft and automatic decompression
mechanism if compression is abnormally high.
A cylinder leakage test is the best indication of engine
condition on models with automatic decompression.
Follow tester manufacturer’s instructions to perform
a cylinder leakage test. (Never use high pressure
leakage testers as crankshaft seals may dislodge and
leak)

Plenty of over size cast pistons like Namura on ebay.Polaris 325 piston kits | eBay But doesn't show that Wiseco makes a forged piston for it. Probably because the 325 was only made from 2000-2002.

Old 05-15-2017, 12:50 PM
Pro Rider

Well, I got it home and started playing with it. Seems the guy hacked into the wiring to bypass the key switch. Mainly for the lights and tail light. I put the wires back to there original spots and heat shrieked every thing. The fan works because as soon as I hooked battery power to it with the key on, it started running so I know the sensor is bad. All the wires looked good so I tried to hit the start switch and it popped the breaker. I noticed the relay was changed in the black pouch. It says 12 volt 8 amp. Is that the right size? Seems a little light. Would a bad key switch cause this also?

Thanks,
Mike

Old 05-15-2017, 02:26 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Takes a 20 amp main breaker,10 amp fan breaker under the front panel. I'd try that first,around 7 bucks or so from most auto houses. Switches are cheap too. Around 7-8 bucks.IGNITION KEY SWITCH FITS POLARIS TRAIL BOSS 325 SE 2000 2001 ATV NEW | eBay

Old 05-16-2017, 08:03 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks OPT,

I tested the starting system and the key switch does work. I get spark when I spin the engine over. The starter does not work and the solenoid just clicks, but I get power to the starter so it looks like I'm pulling it to check it out. I tested the circuit breaker with my power probe and it didn't trip when I applied power so I got a 20 amp breaker from the parts store. The only other wire issue I have is making sure I pulled the right wire for the reverse limiter. It's in a different location on this machine so I hope this is the right black wire.

Thanks,
Mike

Old 05-17-2017, 01:06 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

You got the right wire.If you have power to the starter,but no go,I'd replace the bendix along with it as cheap as they both are.http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Starter-...9WBvRL&vxp=mtr

Old 05-21-2017, 03:12 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks OPT,

Got it running yesterday. Starts right up and runs just like all the other 325's I have seen. Everything electrical works as it should. Only thing is as soon as you turn the key on, the hot temp light comes on. Even when cold. What should I look at for this?

Thanks,
Mike

Old 05-21-2017, 03:38 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Pull the connector at the oil cooler thermistor sensor and see if that helps. If the light stays on you'll need to pull the red or red/white wire that goes to the thermistor module(one on the lower right #29). That is if you don't want to pay 160 bucks for a new module and 100 bucks for a new sensor,which even I wouldn't do..

Attached Thumbnails Thoughts on a 2000 Trail Boss 325?-9e81c6edc86205b5e688c12ddf8b7f197acc64fe.png