Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2007 Sportsman 500 EFI Code 22

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2017, 06:23 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Sportsman 500 EFI Code 22

Can't seem to get this code to clear.
replaced the TPS connector with a repair harness. Reference voltage 5v. Resistance of TPS checks good per the manual. Base setting of TPS measures 1.11v, also good per manual.
Engine bogs if you flick throttle at idle. No power over 40 mph. Overall does not run bad at all.
dealer cleared codes and checked sensors over the winter, ran for a while without codes returning. The will not clear no matter how long battery is disconnected.
not sure what to chase next... I see others mention maybe tbap harness?

Old 06-01-2017, 06:45 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Manuals say 85% of efi problems are wiring or connector related,not the sensors themselves which I believe is true.If you used a Polaris harness repair kit most wouldn't last very long.Same thin wiring and connectors as the original. Most common problem on the 500 was the tbap cheap connector or wiring.Sometimes even the grommet under the tbap can crack and suck air.Item#9 in the thumbnail pic. Look for obvious signs of bare wires or soft feeling wires.Some times you can wiggle the wiring at an idle and engine rpm will change.A lot has been posted on this over the years and I replaced a lot of harness kits only to have them fail again.Better harness repair kits are available here for the tps and tbap.https://otbpowersports.com/products/

Attached Thumbnails 2007 Sportsman 500 EFI Code 22-546568a710897d3854eb469f997074fe930cb65c.png  
Old 06-01-2017, 08:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

I used an aftermarket harness, but not OTB. Seems to be good quality but I will keep an eye on it.

will bad wires at the tbap cause a code 22? at other sensors?

I pulled the tbap and the grommet was definitely cracked and not in the best of shape. don't think that would cause a code 22 that won't clear though, do you?

Also, the dealer told me only they can reset blink codes - is that accurate?

Old 06-01-2017, 08:36 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Most of the time you can reset the blink codes by unhooking the battery. If that doesn't work I don't know how else to do it.

Old 06-01-2017, 08:37 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Codes thrown aren't always accurate,but code 22 does show low voltage to the tps. Possible the kit you installed is the problem area. I would at least get a new t-bap grommet and go from there unless you want to just go ahead and order both a new tps and tbap kit @39 bucks each and solve any future problems with the tbap acting up also.From my experience the t-bap harness and connectors gave us the most problems on the 500 efi.Only remember replacing a few tps harness kits.Once repaired right codes are usually easy to remove or just clear themselves.

Old 06-01-2017, 09:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

I just went out and poked around again... there is a harness under the TB that is clearly pinched by the exhaust pipe heat shield.. looks like I just found more wires to trace. My biggest question was if any other short could cause the 22 to show up, especially since I traced the TPS circuit and can't find a problem.

The 22 was before and after the TPS repair kit; I probed everything before and after and the old connector checks good - I went ahead and changed it just in case the wire was still in the process of failing.

Old 06-01-2017, 09:17 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Trace this harness down. Probably leading the crank position sensor at the stator cover...another area that I've found shorts in by wiring rubbing against the starter. Zip tie this harness up to where it's away from the engine after you repair any damaged wire.This may or may not solve the 22 code.

Old 06-01-2017, 09:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

will do, thanks for the advice!

Old 06-25-2017, 05:14 PM
Weekend Warrior
Unhappy still no luck

finally had some time to get into it.
I traced every wire down on this thing and it all checks out. Even where the wires were rubbing on the heat shield - only damage to the loom, not to the wires.

I started it up again.. same code 22. if I flick the throttle, there is a serious bog and occasionally a backfire & die.

What's next?

I haven't tried making a TPS tester yet.

Beyond that???

Old 06-25-2017, 05:53 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Code 22 does refer to the tps. Either connection problem or short to ground. This code may not always be correct that I've found.Back firing and bogging,erratic idle was one of the more common symptoms of the t-bap wiring harness or connector. If you've replaced the tbap sensor split grommet you found I'd still think it's a t-bap problem just from all the ones I had to replace. But the best way is to probe the pins and wires on the t-bap and also the tps wiring harness and connector to see if you can narrow down which one might be the problem.