Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2005 polaris sportsman 800 efi issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 11:26 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

On the throttle body boot that connects to the air box. Item#30.

Attached Thumbnails 2005 polaris  sportsman 800 efi issues-4439f006ce2088d7632a2fa694db3582b31d2dd4.png  
Old 06-30-2017, 01:43 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok well I bought it. 2005 sportsman 800 efi 2000 miles. Front and rear bumpers, rack extenders, polaris winch, like new tires,
Spam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word *when I got there I checked voltage at battery 11.7 key off. 13.7+/- when idling.
-air filter is clean
-oil was just changed
-coolant overflow bottle over filled
- when I started it she idled around 900-1000, took it for a ride and would max out around 30 mph at that time rpms were only around 4400. Also seemed to sound like it was cutting out when I held the throttle all the way down when it was at 30 mph.
-shut it down and looked it over. Couldn't do a proper compression check because it's a pain in the *** to get to the left side plug.
-after negotiations I got it for $1600!!
-15-20 min after I shut it down, I went to load it in my truck and it didn't want to idle, kept dying. Idle was so low. But I got it home and after a 45 min ride it fired up and it's now in my garage.

lol now where so I start??? I checked the check engine blink codes and it blinked 6 times paused then blinked once. I don't see a code 61 anywhere. It's definitely 6 times because I did it over 4 times. If it was 51 then it's injector

Old 06-30-2017, 02:13 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

61 is what shows at the end of the code checks.. I'd go for the t-bap and tps harnesses first as you might get lucky. If it is a harness problem here is the place to get repair kits.https://otbpowersports.com/products/ Clean machine by the way..Plus get the manual!!http://polaris-atv.brssm.com/2005-Po...ce-Manual.html Also appears like you got a good deal according to KBB.https://www.kbb.com/motorcycles/pola...icetype=retail Gives you some wiggle room if any expensive part is needed.

Old 06-30-2017, 02:18 PM
Pro Rider

Ok is there a way to test these? I don't see any bare wires or anything. So would digital wrench even detect anything if check engine light isn't on? That will be an option if I can't determine the issue in a day or two

Old 06-30-2017, 02:26 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by lph008
Ok is there a way to test these? I don't see any bare wires or anything. So would digital wrench even detect anything if check engine light isn't on? That will be an option if I can't determine the issue in a day or two
If you can lightly ***** these telephone size wires down a little where they tie into the main harness by the frame, you can use a meter to test continuity between the whole length of the wire and the connector pins. This can tell if the wire is bad or not,but also look close at the connector pins. They can push back and not make good contact with the sensor connector pins themselves. To remove the hard plug,it's actually easier to reach over from the right to left side.You can pull the boot and use a 5/8" socket with a short adapter. I got tired of fighting this side until I stuck my hand through and could feel the plug cap..

Last edited by old polaris tech; 06-30-2017 at 02:58 PM. Reason: removing spark plugs..
Old 06-30-2017, 03:08 PM
Pro Rider

After further inspection and cutting away heat shrink wrap, I found that this wire where it goes into the pin on the connector is broken and only half the wire is still connected to the pin. It also shows that these wires were cut at some point and spliced back together. Can I repair this pin? I can't even get the wire out of the pin I'd hate to order a new sensor if this isn't the problem. Over $125

I removed the shrink wrap on that wire and the wire is actually soldered so I'm not sure if that is the problem. Connection should still be good, it just looked like it was broken but the two ends are actually overlapped and soldered

Old 06-30-2017, 03:22 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Which sensor? T-bap or tps? Or is it the connector and wiring that goes into the sensor? If so here's the solution for either one. Looks like you need a new repair kit not the sensor.

Attached Thumbnails 2005 polaris  sportsman 800 efi issues-connector-768x431.jpg   2005 polaris  sportsman 800 efi issues-tpsfull-768x431.jpg  
Old 06-30-2017, 03:24 PM
Pro Rider

It's the male end of the plug for the tps. I would think it is still getting a good connection being soldered together though, no?

Old 06-30-2017, 03:36 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by lph008
It's the male end of the plug for the tps. I would think it is still getting a good connection being soldered together though, no?
Get the 39 buck tps repair harness and forget about trying to repair that crap.. If you luck out and this is the only thing that's wrong with this machine,then you owe me a case of beer.. And I don't even drink.. Look at the "sticky" post section above the expert section on 700/800 efi wiring problems. That's how the aftermarket kits came about from https://otbpowersports.com/products/ The ones I had to use from Polaris sucked,wouldn't hold up and had the same thin wiring you're dealing with now.. If mine I get the t-bap repair kit too as they are the ones that are most prone to fail.. AND by the looks of it the po tried to repair this on his own,too cheap to do it right.

Old 06-30-2017, 03:43 PM
Pro Rider

Lol. I owe you more than a case of beer already. You've helped me in the past. Ok I'll order them, what should I look into while i wait for the parts? I was going to pull the TB and give it a good cleaning, should I check fuel pressure Also? Drives me nuts that I can't go pick these parts up local.