Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

First time purchasing an ATV

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 08:59 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First time purchasing an ATV

Hey so I'm hoping you pros can help me out deciding on 2 ATVs I am looking at on Craigslist..

Ive ridden ATVs here and there but have never owned one so I am looking at used in the $3000 price range. Right now its down to a 2010 Polaris Sportman 500 or a 2007 Yamaha Grizzly 450.

I know this is the Polaris forum so there might be some bias but just wanted to get your guys honest opinion.

Old 07-07-2017, 02:05 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

I don't own Polaris machines anymore. The ones we had treated us well though. The 500 cc Polaris is pretty bulletproof as is the Yamaha Grizzly. Polaris has a more comfortable ride, better on board storage, and better towing and toting numbers. Yamaha is a bit more reliable but doesn't shine in any way in particular. Just a good quad overall.

Old 07-07-2017, 02:54 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info.

I went and checked out the Yamaha since it was close. Steering seemed stiffer than I remember, its been a few years though.. Also idle seemed rough and stalled out after a few minutes. He said takes a few minutes to warm up then its good to go... Is that common with ATVs?

Im going to use this mostly for trail riding and from my research it seems the sportsman is a little better suited for this..

Old 07-08-2017, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

I'm not sure if the Suzuki 450 had electronic fuel injection or not. If it has a carb it's more likely to get gummed up with the ethanol?, gas mix they sell. Never had issues with the fuel injected machines I've had. Have had some issues with the carb machines.

Old 07-08-2017, 11:46 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Its kinda normal for a carb machine to need a minute or 2 to warm up. Once they get warmed up, they shouldn't stall out though. Probably needs carb cleaned. Polaris had a Sportsman 500 efi by then as well. The efi version came out way back in 2005 I think. They made both a carb and efi version for a few years for some reason. The Polaris has a bit more power so it should be a little faster and can tow and haul more. Polaris will ride better too, better suspension. You have to step up to a Grizzly 660 or 700 to get really nice suspension on a Yamaha. I have seen Grizzly 660s in that price range in good shape though. The 700 gets you efi and more power but they cost more used. They also had optional power steering which also adds to the price but I've ridden a Grizzly 700 with it and its very nice. The Grizzly 700 was the first atv to offer power steering when they came out in 2007. I probably would own one now but I couldnt find one for what I was willing to pay at the time. The nice 700's with power steering usually go for around $5000 used, some more.