Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

1995 Polaris 300 4x4 White Smoke

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 06:40 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 Polaris 300 4x4 White Smoke

I have a 1995 Polaris 300 4x4 and it blows white smoke on cold start and then after it heats up it only smokes slightly. No loss of power or anything, runs quite nicely just smokes. From what I'm reading online it's likely a valve? Just wanting to confirm this. Anyone know where I can get replacement parts for this? Google search didn't much help. Can't seem to find a lot of info on the internet, there's some but compared to other makes/models it's not much. I appreciate it, thanks!

Old 08-04-2017, 03:01 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

No valves as this is a two stroke engine. Had plenty of these smoke at first crank up mainly because people left the fuel valves on and over time a worn carb needle and seat could leak fuel into the crank case. After they warmed up and burnt the excess fuel the smoking is less. I'd make a habit of turning the fuel valve off after riding and even going a step further by freshening up the carb. This kit has the correct 155 main jet also.Shindy Carburetor Carb Rebuild Kit Polaris 2x4 / 4x4 300 1994-1995 ATV 03-402 | eBay

Old 08-04-2017, 04:47 AM
Weekend Warrior

I just bought it so I don't know much about it yet. Actually my first 2 stroke besides an old Kawasaki KE100 I had when I was a kid lol. I was actually going to order a carb kit anyways bc the previous owner says it will start 90% of the time and once and awhile it will fire but won't start completely which sounds like a carb issue as well. Appreciate the reply and the link! Hopefully that does the trick.

Old 08-04-2017, 05:56 AM
Weekend Warrior

I'm assuming the petcock is gravity and not vacuum since gas will keep following with quad off?

On my 1991 Harley I left my fuel on one time and the next day my tank was almost empty, small puddle on floor, and oil smelled like gas. I had to drain my oil and flush it out to prevent damages. I know this doesn't really apply to 2 strokes but I was wondering if there's anything that would need attention to prevent damages if the gas is left on?

What kind of 2 stroke oil should I be using? Also tranny oil? I found a PDF service manual but it's not the best. Wish I could find an owners manual and a different service manual.

Old 08-04-2017, 10:34 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

You don't normally have to drain the 2 stroke crank case. Excess fuel will be cleaned out while running.Yes the fuel to the carb is by gravity flow.Some fuel valves would also leak internally and not shut off completely after they got older.That's why it's best to rebuild the carb also.Any good synthetic two stroke injector oil should be fine.For the gear case,Polaris AGL or Amsoil gear case lubricant suitable for chain driven gear cases. Try this cheap 5 buck manual and see if it helps on service and repair.1995 Polaris 300 4X4 Service Manual PDF Download Couple good places for oem parts if needed are.http://www.partzilla.com/parts/searc...ATV/parts.html http://www.cyclepartswarehouse.com/o...aris_atv/parts

Old 08-04-2017, 10:44 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you sir, I appreciate your help! Will the $5 manual work on mobile? I'm assuming bc it's PDF but figured I would ask first. I planned on rebuilding the carb anyways, might pick up a fuel valve as well.

Old 08-04-2017, 10:47 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

It's a pdf,but as far as down loading on a phone,don't know.

Old 08-04-2017, 08:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

That manual was the one I already have, was hoping it was model specific. No big deal though, as long as the $5 went to a good cause/people I have no problem with it.

I might have to search or maybe even order synthetic injection oil, there's not very many options where I live. I have a bunch of Pennzoil synthetic TCW3 outboard oil for my boats (easy to find here) but I've read that outboard oil is risky to use bc of the rpm difference, air cooled vs. water cooled, etc.

Old 08-05-2017, 10:48 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

All the 300s were basically the same mechanically and electronically with the exception of the 4x4 which is also covered.Plus the wiring diagrams for each model should be included. Clymer has a similar 300 manual,but if you want the original model specific 300 4x4 Polaris shop manual(if you can find it) that's big bucks.On that one I'd keep a look out on ebay for a used one. A far as using tcw3,we used that and many customers did too on the early two strokes. Some swore by Quick Silver or Wallyworld two stroke oil.It's fine on these low compression engines.The Penzoil you have being a synthetic makes it even better.

Old 08-05-2017, 04:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

The manual will probably be good enough, if I happen to find one model specific I'll pick one up depending on price.

I have a part I need help identifying, I'll post pics here soon.

Like I said before it smokes till after heating up but now that I've played with it a little it starts smoking again if I really get on the throttle. Is this from the engine getting hotter and burning oil residue that wasn't hot enough to burn off before? Just want to make sure it's not another issue and want to make sure everything is in working order before taking it to deep in the woods.

I actually found somewhere I can get Polaris Premium Blue, I wanted to use Amsoil or Royal Purple but non local. Was actually surprised I found the Blue. The guy said there would be no issue in using it with my wheeler, just want to confirm that's true. I'm sure you can since it's Polaris brand and it's a Polaris but better safe then sorry. Sounds like a dumb question but I see it says smokeless, will this help my smoking problem?

Also if I may add: I seen other carb kits online that are branded race driven and are a little cheaper, is the shindy a better brand?

I really appreciate your help, can't thank you enough Sir!