Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

$800 800 Build..."Back from the Dead"

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 09:53 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $800 800 Build..."Back from the Dead"

Not exactly sure where my build thread should go but thought here would be OK since the quad needed so much in the way of repairs. I started with a 2005 Sportsman 800 that i got off Craigslist for $800. It ran fairly good and the trans/diffs were in good shape so i thought i would take a chance. Below is a list of everything done since i brought i home.
1. New wheel bearings all the way around.
2. New tie rod ends and serviced the steering stem.
3. New suspension bushings all the way around.
4. New brakes all the way around including a new rear master cylinder (someone had modded the system so they had separate front and rear brakes...great idea, just caused none of the brakes to function properly. It wouldn't slide the wheels on gravel no matter how hard you tried.) Back to stock...brakes work perfect!
5. Complete fluid/filter change...greased all the grease fittings.
6. New shifter bushing.
7. New lug nuts/studs.
8. New front cover for storage box (busted from an over turn and holes from a snorkel kit).
9. New light bulbs all around.
10. New spark plugs.
11. New throttle cable (part of the reason in getting it so cheap was due to the cable hanging up...affected the throttle so much that it couldn't be ridden.)
12. 2 New CV boots.
13. New front axle hub (mine had broke at the collar that rides in the bearing).
14. New throttle cable bushing at the throttle body (somehow managed to loose the original one when i disassembled everything).
Now for the used parts...Everything came from a local guy in western NC...he is VERY reasonable on prices and sells on EBAY as well if anybody is interested. PM me for his cell and he can direct you to his EBAY stuff or he can do credit card orders over the phone if you need to have anything shipped. I think he sells new after market parts as well. He buys used and disassembles to sell parts...also repairs quads too. Great guy...really helped me out.
1. Used front/rear plastic...i had these painted Red by my Brother who runs a Restoration shop.
2. Used rear rack assembly.
3. Used rear caliper.
4. Used headlight and bezel/pod.
Now for the parts/piece's i repaired...
1. Repaired the front lower storage box that had been busted due to an over turn...and had holes from a snorkel kit. Fiberglass repair kit from Advance worked wonders!
2. Straightened steering stem and handle bars due to an over turn.
3. Straightened rear rack support bar due to an over turn.
4. Added/welded support to the front bumper...apparently the winch has more force than the bumper can handle.
5. Added stainless screws in place of nearly every plastic fastener on the body panels.
6. Repaired fuel sending unit with one from a 1990 k1500 Chevrolet tk.
7. Repaired/welded rear bumper.
8. Cleaned radiator inside and out.
9. Disassembled fan and greased the non-grease able bearings.
10. Repaired switch/wiring for the rear work lights.
11. Repaired the brake light wiring.
12. Built custom heat shields for the exhaust.
13. Replaced oil dipstick tube oring...bad oil leak there.
14. Repaired the valve cover breather box...bad oil leak there also.
15. Repaired the CV belt/clutches...they were bad out of line which caused the belt to constantly grab which caused a hard to shift situation.
Now, the mods i have made.
1. 2 up conversion...seat from a toro zero turn mower complete with arm rests, custom built rear fender guards, rear rider foot rests, rear rider grab bars and right/left rear storage boxes. The cost on this was $28 plus my time ($14 each on the tool boxes from Lowes), i had the steel and the seat was a freebee score. Much better, safer, and sturdier than $350 for an aftermarket seat/box.
2. As mentioned above...i built and added heat shields to the exhaust because it already had plastic melt issues, plus my kids will be riding this and safety worried me and i will be using it in alot of slow speed situations where the exhaust will make alot of heat.
3. As mentioned above, i used stainless hardware to reattach everything i could...those plastic clips just seem to cause me way to much headache.
4. As mentioned above, i repaired the fuel sending unit (my wife and kids will be using this so running out of gas 2 miles up the side of the mountain on the backside of nowhere because the fuel gauge doesn't work wasn't a story i want to hear..lol) If you have a non-existent fuel gauge because of a bad sending unit...this may be the fix for you. See this link....2005-2007 Sportsman 800 Fuel Sending Unit repair
Now, the things i plan to do...
1. New HD springs for the rear...my wife and i weigh a combined total of 450lbs...the tired original springs are less than capable. Planning on a set of EPI HD's unless someone recommends otherwise. Also, if you have used the EPI's on this specific quad...your input would be welcomed, i'm still wondering if they would completely correct sag with that much weight???
2. I plan to build a few cup holders, cell phone holder, fender flares and a quick attach front box.
3. Attachment point for my DIY snow blade that i have from a previous quad.
4. The quad came with a 2" lift which i may remove depending on how bad it is on CV joints and whether the new rear springs completely fix sag or not.
5. Aux LED lighting.
6. Temp gauge (as this thing seems to run hotter than the 2001 500 i had) and possibly oil pressure gauge.
7. New ignition switch and key...mine works fine but somebody pulled the black plastic cover off the key and cut the ears off the key (i could only guess the reasoning was because the steering stem got pushed back during the over turn and hit the gas cap..lol) My goofed up key make it hard to start for the wife/kids.
I do have 2 questions for those who own 800's...
1. I have a clicking noise from inside the engine once its warmed up...previous owner said it had always made the noise. I would guess something to do with the valve train or timing chain. Should i be worried about the noise? I hear the same noise on YouTube from other 800's but still, my 500 didn't do that. It may be nothing but i'd rather hear what the pro's have to say.
2. When the quad is cold, it has a hesitation off idle and will sometime (rarely) die. Its not that bad, just aggravating. I adjusted the throttle cable which seemed to help some but its still there. Its almost like it runs to lean when cold...kinda like a carb model if you push the choke off to soon. Thing runs great otherwise! Any ideas on which way to head on this would be appreciated.
I will attach pictures in my next post.

Before

Before

Done!

In progress

Old 08-28-2017, 11:14 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Sounds like you've been spending a lot of time on this one. Staring to shape up pretty good.The 700 and 800 engines did have a little clicking noise as this was from the hydraulic lifters,push rods and rocker arms. "When the quad is cold, it has a hesitation off idle and will sometime (rarely) die. Its not that bad, just aggravating. I adjusted the throttle cable which seemed to help some but its still there. Its almost like it runs to lean when cold...kinda like a carb model if you push the choke off to soon. Thing runs great otherwise" This sounds like a possible sensor harness problem from either the t-bap or tps.Don't have the throttle cable too tight. You can check for bare wires that may be causing this problem and sometimes wiggling a harness can make the engine idle change and help track down where the problem is. The t-bap wiring harness and connector was the main one to have problems and can cause erratic idle and dying.Codes may or may not be thrown. This place has better harness repair kits than Polaris has if you find that to be the problem.https://otbpowersports.com/products/ If you don't have a manual,here's a cheap one.http://polaris-atv.brssm.com/2005-Po...ce-Manual.html

Attached Thumbnails 0 800 Build..."Back from the Dead"-03995895770c6cf30050f8615d27c95120bc5d8e.png  
Old 08-28-2017, 12:28 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Definitely looks nicer but as far as cosmetics go it didn't look that bad before you did anything to it. Before I read this post, I fully expected it not to even run for that price. Obviously you spent quite a bit of money for a lot of small parts but all in all I think you did pretty good for getting the quad so cheap. I've seen quads for sale for more money that needed a complete engine rebuild.

Old 08-28-2017, 12:51 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It looks really good with the shiny red plastics.

Old 08-28-2017, 09:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks Fella's!! I'm glad the ticking noise is no big deal...it sounds the same as the others ive listen to on youtube. So i won't worry to much about that. As to the running issue...got that straightened out tonight. Took the throttle body and sensors apart...cleaned everything...reassembled and adjusted. Running great!! Gonna get some rear springs in the next week or two and i think that should be all the major stuff.

Old 08-28-2017, 09:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

I wouldn't care to have factory decals back on there but it seems they are no longer available.

Old 08-29-2017, 07:06 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

After 10 years it's hard to find oem decals unless a dealer has some nos ones in the parts bin.After market ones are out there that can dress one up. www.motodecals.com Sticker Kits Polaris atvs Stickers Decals Graphics

Old 08-29-2017, 04:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
After 10 years it's hard to find oem decals unless a dealer has some nos ones in the parts bin.After market ones are out there that can dress one up. www.motodecals.com Sticker Kits Polaris atvs Stickers Decals Graphics
Thanks!! Just looked up their site and those decals will work perfect!