Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Trail Boss 250 4x4 questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2017, 04:30 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trail Boss 250 4x4 questions

I picked up an 89 trail boss 250 4x4, or at least that what the guy I bought it from said it was that year, I haven't looked into it to verify it yet. Not a bad machine but needs a few things to make it a solid runner. It came with new in the box brake pads and a new carb kit. I stopped and bought a new battery for it on my way home with it. It currently runs great, but leaks at the carb so hence why it came with a new carb kit. The previous owner said he always pre mixed the gas in it since he owned it because he didn't trust the oiling system. What do I look at on this machine to see if the injection system works? I am planning on adding some premix fuel to it and run it and see if I get oil to come out of the oil line at the line going into the intake. Do I have to prime anything if I add oil to the front tank since it is empty now? Did these 250's have any issues with the oil pump that would make someone use premix instead of using the oil pump?

The other questioning have is the fluid for the front hubs. On this older machine, does it use the same on demand fluid in them like my mid to late 90's models use? I thought I read in one of my service manuals that the early models used trans fluid.

Thanks,
Mike

Old 11-04-2017, 06:12 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

The old 250 oil pumps were practically bullet proof. People started premixing a lot of times after a piston seized thinking it was the pumps fault. Most just let the piston run too many years. Easy to check if it's ok. Get a new piece of blue 3/16" fuel line from any auto store and hook it from the pump to the injector at the bottom of the cylinder. Put some oil in the oil tank,bleed the screw on the top of the pump to remove any air.Crank the engine up and at an idle,raise the pump arm all the way up. This tricks the pump into pumping wide open. You should see the oil inching it's way to the cylinder injector. Plus yes Demand Drive Plus hub fluid took the place of the older demand drive fluid along with the type F that the earlier models called for. If you still have the older Demand Drive fluid,use it up first.