Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Found my oil leak - cylinder gasket

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2018, 01:37 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Most driven clutches are able to be just jerked off. I rarely had to use the driven clutch puller unless the clutch was really rusted on. If it's a Comet that may be a different story.
Pulled off the driven clutch by hand. Some rust on the shaft, but came off ok. Looks like it's the original, part number is stamped on.

Hopefully I can pull the Primary clutch this week. Still need to get the right bolt.

Old 02-08-2018, 08:03 AM
Range Rover

Primary clutch is finally off, using a 3/4-16 bolt and a steel bar. Here is what it sounds like now:

Not sure if it sounds 100%?

Old 02-08-2018, 09:22 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

At least the clutch clatter is gone.. Does have a little top end clatter which is normal but sounds like the air box isn't sealed or sucking air. Should rev up without hardly any hesitation. Part of this may be in the carb.

Old 02-24-2018, 04:22 PM
Range Rover

Got the new clutch on today. Running great now, nice and smooth. Thanks again for all your help!

Old 02-24-2018, 04:37 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Gotta hear it run right after all this work... Just kidding,hope it's nice and semi quiet and running good for you finally..

Old 02-24-2018, 09:05 PM
Range Rover

Gotta hear it run right after all this work... Just kidding,hope it's nice and semi quiet and running good for you finally..
Getting there, in pretty good shape. Hard part is behind me. Shot a quick video:

It's starting up great, but stalling sometimes when I put it into high gear. And occasionally getting stuck in reverse. So I have to play with it a bit. Also want to see the fan kick in when it's warm. And see the coolant level stabilize. Will have to wait for another weekend.

In much better condition though!

Old 02-25-2018, 03:44 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Change that gear case oil if you haven't done so already. Plus do you have the oem belt? Some aftermarket belts can be too tight or wide putting constant pressure on the driven clutch. Check to see in neutral that the driven clutch isn't turning or if it is that it can be easily stopped with your foot,be careful on that one though.. That sounds like what's causing the clunking into gear,being under a load.

Old 03-03-2018, 04:02 PM
Range Rover

Change that gear case oil if you haven't done so already. Plus do you have the oem belt? Some aftermarket belts can be too tight or wide putting constant pressure on the driven clutch. Check to see in neutral that the driven clutch isn't turning or if it is that it can be easily stopped with your foot,be careful on that one though.. That sounds like what's causing the clunking into gear,being under a load.
Put on a new belt, working better now. Was OEM one before too - EBS - but maybe it was damaged or stretched by old comet non-EBS clutch? New clutch is EBS.

The low gear is putting the ATV stuck in reverse sometimes, need to look into that. Can get it unstuck with some light tapping.

Will replace gear oil next as suggested.

Saw the fan go on as expected, so cooling system should be good now.

I think I'm almost ready to put the plastics back on!

Old 03-03-2018, 04:15 PM
Range Rover

Here's the latest video - need to get this out of town for a better test:

Old 03-03-2018, 04:28 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

You've come a long way since November with a busted cylinder,awd problems,ect. Looks kike you've got good brakes also..