Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Found my oil leak - cylinder gasket

Old 12-08-2017, 09:12 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Just realized that I was looking at one cut away slots on the slotted nut holding the crank sprocket..You can pull the nut off (remember left hand threads) and check the condition of the key. If the sprocket has any side to side play,replace the key. Use blue loc tite on the shaft threads and then the slotted nut. You don't need the slotted nut tool. Just tighten by hand and then use a punch and hammer to final tighten the slotted nut. Fairly snug but don't break the nut..
How do you get the nut off without the slotted nut tool? This thing is on tight, and using a hammer and punch isn't working. I'm trying to turn it clockwise to remove - keeping in mind the left hand threads. This is the last thing to remove before I'm 100% done my engine disassembly.

Old 12-09-2017, 08:09 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Sorry,I said punch but meant a flat dull chisel a little smaller or same size of the cut out slot on the nut. That should work a lot better. Even a shot of heat from a propane torch can help break the stubborn ones loose.

Old 12-09-2017, 02:41 PM
Range Rover

Sorry,I said punch but meant a flat dull chisel a little smaller or same size of the cut out slot on the nut. That should work a lot better. Even a shot of heat from a propane torch can help break the stubborn ones loose.
That worked - needed the blowtorch again.

Both keys look good. No play on the sprocket. No play on the crankshaft. Ready for new seals and chain.
Found my oil leak - cylinder gasket-photo252.jpg
Question on the guide - is it supposed to have grooves like this?
Found my oil leak - cylinder gasket-photo892.jpg
I also found damage where the other guide sits. Do I have to be worried about this?
Found my oil leak - cylinder gasket-photo818.jpgFound my oil leak - cylinder gasket-photo506.jpg
Finally - previous owner must of loved his impact wrench - any thoughts on how to repair?
Found my oil leak - cylinder gasket-photo20.jpgFound my oil leak - cylinder gasket-photo259.jpg

Old 12-09-2017, 04:13 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Guide is supposed to have the ridges as over time the chain will cut grooves. If in doubt order a new one. You can retap the bottom hole,but peel all the blue silicon off the top and see what all damage the po did. If the top of the case is broken, a good machine shop could build the broken part up and tap it out.Plus they may be able to do something with the guide slot.

Old 12-09-2017, 05:57 PM
Range Rover

Guide is supposed to have the ridges as over time the chain will cut grooves. If in doubt order a new one. You can retap the bottom hole,but peel all the blue silicon off the top and see what all damage the po did. If the top of the case is broken, a good machine shop could build the broken part up and tap it out.Plus they may be able to do something with the guide slot.
Or just replace the crank case for $100?
https://m.ebay.ca/itm/1999-2000-Pola...cAAOSwCkZZWUpH

Old 12-09-2017, 06:18 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

If at all possible I'd see if a machinist can solve this one. Cases are sold as a matched pair. One different run case half may or may not match up exactly with the other case which would be frustrating.Plus you'd be creating a whole lot more work for yourself if you swapped out both cases.

Attached Thumbnails Found my oil leak - cylinder gasket-dfd933457e506ac58d5381cf6a04764cf909563b.png  
Old 12-09-2017, 06:46 PM
Range Rover

If at all possible I'd see if a machinist can solve this one. Cases are sold as a matched pair. One different run case half may or may not match up exactly with the other case which would be frustrating.Plus you'd be creating a whole lot more work for yourself if you swapped out both cases.
What is the most likely scenario - hauling the ATV to the shop, pulling out the entire crank case, or can I just pull that one side off? To get to the machine shop.

Old 12-09-2017, 06:57 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

I'd take the whole machine to the shop.They should be able to work on it as is. No use doing anymore work than you have to at this point and having to put it back together if they're able to repair it fairly easy.

Old 12-21-2017, 02:56 PM
Range Rover

Update - took the ATV to a machine shop - they fixed up all the issues. I can now attach the recoil housing with 3 more bolts, the metal plate behind the stator was straightened out and crack fixed. And the ledge for the timing guide was repaired. Another shop is pulling out the valves for cleaning/inspection - I know my limitations - and then I can start to put Humpty Dumpty back together again.

Old 12-21-2017, 03:15 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Good deal that they were able to repair the case.Saved you some headaches. Make sure the guys that are doing the valves replace the valve guide seals also.Better now than later. Unless you ordered a complete gasket kit that comes with them.Some folks said let your reach exceed your grasp. I'm like you,I knew my limitations on things I could do myself.. Even more so now..

Attached Thumbnails Found my oil leak - cylinder gasket-s-l1600.jpg  

Search this Thread