Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Scrambler 400/500/Warrior/400EX?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-1999, 02:45 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking to buy a quad and would like any suggestions you might have. First, I am 5'7" and 230 lbs, I am looking for a sport type bike or possibly a sporty 4x4. The group I will be riding with have, '00 Wolverine, '00 Warrior, '00 Scrambler 500, and a '84 Honda 250 Trike. We will be riding in southeastern PA, gravel, dirt roads, mud, an occasional water hole, stone ridden trails, and once a year some snow. I have riden all of their bikes and here are my impressions. The Scrambler 500 is easily the fastest of the bunch, you can power slide and pop a wheelie with ease. The suspension on all of these quads seems pretty good. The Warrior is a really fun quad, but it bothers me how easily the Scrambler smokes it and it's poor ground clearance is also an issure. The Wolverine is a great all round quad but the full time 4x4 has got to go, I can't give up power slides and all the fun the 2 wd's have. I've seen the Wolverine go places the Warrior couldn't dream of and places the Srambler tried but failed (due to water and belt slippage). I think I have narrowed my decision down to the Warrior, Scrambler 500, Scrambler 400, and 400EX. Here is my thinking behind the candidates:

Warrior: A very fun quad, low ground clearance, could be faster, old design, seems reliable, suspension is good but not great.
Scrambler 500: Very fast, easy to ride but not being able to downshift bothers me, a little heavy, easy access flip of a switch to kick it into 4wd, nice suspension travel, top heavy, fun quad, good ground clearance, the complexity of the transmission bother me and it's adverse reaction to water also bugs me, the one handed braking doesn't offer enough flexibility, I can imagine hit the brakes on a failed steep hill climb, the rear wheels locking and the bike and I falleing down the hill backwards.
Scrambler 400: Same as above, but cheaper a little slower, a little lighter, mods produce extreme hp which could be interesting, virtually no engine braking, 2 stroke requires a bit more attention.
400EX: I have not driven this quad, but all the things Warrior owners cry out for the 400ex has so I think it would be great, lightweight, great suspension, great power, reliable, ground clearance is poor, price and supply is poor, NO REVERSE - this one really kills me, I'm not sure I can get by without it, I know I only use it 3 times in a day, but jumping off the quad and pushing seems so archaic (a although it is light) and I'll need the speed of the 400ex to catch up to everyone else. Is it worth jumping off and pushing it to have the ultimate sport bike, I'm sure I'd have a blast on it the other 99% of the time.

I know I am really splitting hairs here and I am comparing some different machines here but to me they all seem pretty equal. I quickly realized how little I will actually use 4wd but it is still cool to have just in case the trail gets rough or muddy. I know there isn't a perfect quad but let me put the question out there, if you were me, what quad would you choose and why? Thanks all!

Old 10-17-1999, 08:28 PM
Range Rover

You remind me of myself. I like them all even after I buy one and I'm happy with it I wonder how one of the other machines would be.
For what it is here is how I think. Wouldn't buy the Yamaha's. Nothing against Yamaha. I love some of their products. I just would not buy a quad the manufacurer hasn't changed in 13 years. It is like telling them it is okay. Compare the 400EX or Scrambler airbox intake to the Yamaha Warrior (I would assume the Wolverine is no better). The Yamaha sucks and everybody knows it. They still won't fix it. Go through the chain tightening procedure on all 3 too. The Honda and Polaris are a dream compared to the Yamaha. If I only backed up 3 times a day and money was no object the decision would be easy "400EX". I backup more than that and still wouldn't mind the 400EX. You didn't mention the 400 Sport (99 version) or 2X4 Scrambler (00 version). I would take the 400 2 wheel drive if I was considering the 400 4X4. It is 40lbs lighter, has reverse and is close to $1000 cheaper than a 400EX. Throw a pipe on it and change the primary and seconday spring and you can wave to the rest of your buddies as you fly past. You could do this and still be $600 to $700 cheaper than a 400EX.
Scott.

Old 10-17-1999, 08:37 PM
Range Rover

Another good reason to go with the 2 wheel drives. Less things to break and maintain. The 400EX has to be the champ in this department. Forgetting Hondas rep for reliability for a minute.

1. No water cooling - fewer parts to break.
2. Simple Transmission - fewer parts to break.

My buddy has 2 400 Scramblers and I have one. We ride in the woods and all 3 have radiator damage. One was run through with a stick. That can ruin a day. The other 2 have slight damage only so far.
Scott.

Old 09-16-2001, 03:26 PM
Pro Rider

zj nut the scrambler 400 is a little faster then the 500 not the other way around.

Old 09-16-2001, 04:01 PM
Range Rover

ZJ, I had a '98 Warrior and loved the heck out of it. If you change the gearing and put a set of taller tires on the back that will take care of your ground clearance. The chain tightening procedure and air box are hopeless! As far as the 400EX, they are great bikes and do superb on the track but if you ride in the woods then I would steer clear. The reason I say this is because of the lack of reverse. If you ever get stuck in the mud then you will appreciate having reverse to back your way out. Other than that, I have no complaint with them. As far as the wolverine, stay away from it. The Kodiak would be a better choice with its 2/4 wheel drive capability and not to mention it is faster. Now for the Scrambler, I traded my Warrior for a Scrambler 500 4x4 and I don't regret it at all!! The Scrambler has more power than all the above with the exception of the 400EX, it will go places none of the above will go, you will always be in the right gear without changing, 2/4 wheel capability, easy to power slide, easy wheelies, and a 4 stroke. If you want more power than any of the above then try the 400 Scrambler. Out of all the above I would go with the Warrior or the Scrambler of your choice. This is not a biased opinion because I now own a Polaris it is simply what I prefer after owning or riding the others!

Scott [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 09-16-2001, 07:13 PM
Pro Rider

ZJnut, The EX is the best all around sport quad of the bunch. It won't keep up with a modified Scrambler 400 in a drag race, but the Polaris is a pig in the turns and on jumps. It'll smoke the Scrambler 500 4x4 in every situation except mud bogging. It turns quicker, accelerates harder, and jumps higher than a Warrior.

As for the Wolverine, besides the poor handling, it's even slower than a Warrior.

I did wish my EX had reverse when I got stuck in the snow a few times, but other than that it's no big deal. If reverse is a must have, why not get a Raptor? You won't end up wishing for something faster later on.