Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Help if you can 04 sportsman 500 transmission

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2017, 03:45 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help if you can 04 sportsman 500 transmission

Hi everyone first post here I've got an 04 sportsman 500 after I jumped it on a small hill with the AWD off something in the transfer case or transmission broke and I can not see any damages from the outside it has locked up the rear wheels I can tell it does not send power to the rear wheels it free revs in gear but the rear wheels are locked it will not roll if I turn the all-wheel drive on it sends power to the front I don't think I'm going to try to rebuild it I'd rather swap in a new transmission and be done with it does anyone know what all years are compatible with mine any help would be greatly appreciated thanks

Old 12-24-2017, 03:57 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know what it would be, but your post would be easier to read if it had periods at the end of each sentence.

Old 12-24-2017, 03:58 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Could possibly be the prop shaft locked in the front diff causing the gear case problem. One way to eliminate the front diff is to pull the prop shaft off the diff and gear case. If the rear wheels are still locked up then that could be a job. But it may be cheaper to repair it than to buy another gear case. Could be simple as a silent chain that may have broken locking up the rear drive gear or the smaller chain.

Attached Thumbnails Help if you can 04 sportsman 500 transmission-8608c13.gif  
Old 12-25-2017, 11:29 AM
Weekend Warrior

I was thinking the same thing you are. I'm not sure exactly what the prop shaft does? By turning my AWD off it stops sending power to the front wheels and basically free revs in forward gear like it's in neutral. It never sends any power to the rear wheels. Only the front when the AWD is on. I'll try removing the prop shaft and seeing what it does. If the prop shaft sends power to the front I don't see how that would be my problem. Hopefully I don't have to take the case apart or replace it. I found new silent chain for around a hundred hopefully that'll be the worst case scenario thanks for the help I appreciate it and I'll respond back with my findings Merry Christmas and have a good New Year

Old 12-25-2017, 12:49 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Harley jay
I'm not sure exactly what the prop shaft does. By turning my all wheel drive off it stops sending power to the front wheels and basically free revs in forward gearlike it's in neutral it never sends any power to the rear wheels.
What I meant by removing the prop shaft,OR at least by removing the clevis pin and yoke from the front diff,sliding the prop shaft back on the gear case shaft,was to isolate the front diff from the gear case.The prop shaft turns constantly between both whether it's in awd or not. With it disconnected,then if the rear wheels are still locked,it's definitely a gear case problem.

Old 12-25-2017, 01:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok I see what you are saying now and I will do that when I get a chance in a few days, and will let you know. Thanks a bunch for the help and I hope you have happy holidays