Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Fluid equivalents? Instead of branded lubricants.

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2018, 06:24 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That got me concerned so I got on the belray site and double checked. Sure enough that's what they recommend.

Old 03-30-2018, 06:32 PM
Pro Rider

A quote from a Hilliard rep...

light fluid is the over riding clutch unit. If you use a heavier fluid it will cause problems with the over riding clutch unit. Especially in cold weather.

So. Mobile, non synthetic, 424 and John Deere J20C are the tested and recommended fluids to use from Hilliard manufacturing.

If you want to use a fluid other than those, it absolutely has to be no more than a 05 weight fluid!! Period! End of story! The bottom line is most tractor hydraulic fluids will work.

Old 03-30-2018, 06:35 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

This is from Belrays' site."A 10W-40 motor oil’s viscosity is actually similar to the viscosity of 80W gear oil, and the viscosity of SAE 10W-30 is similar to 75W gear oil." That may possibly work in place of Agl for the gear case(still thicker than Agl)) but for the centralized front diffs I wouldn't use it. Demand Drive Plus is thinner than Atf. Sticking fluid equivalent to 10w-30,10w-40 motor oil in the front diff will just mess things up. Older type diffs that had the hub activated awd system Belray75w or 80w is fine for that.All that's in those diffs are bearings and a ring and pinion gear.

Old 03-30-2018, 07:15 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Plus here's a good demonstration on the difference in viscosity between Demand Drive fluid versus Polaris Angle Drive fluid which is the same as most 75/80 gear oils and used only in rear diffs and non centralized front diffs. Like they say a picture is worth a thousand words.Just don't want to see someone use the wrong fluid and cause any damage.

Old 03-30-2018, 07:37 PM
Trailblazer

OK you guys convinced me. I found a shop in Silverthorne that has the fluids. I have to work up there tomorrow anyway so not a big deal.

Now I have my Easter Sunday planned. And to make it better the winch has to come off, again.

We leave Monday morning for a week in Utah so it has to get done.

Old 03-30-2018, 11:47 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm glad you're convinced. OPT noted that Demand Drive Plus is thinner than ATF, like I was also thinking. I was maybe 99% sure of it, but not 100%. It sounds like it's 5W or even lighter hydraulic fluid. I knew it couldn't possibly be anything close to 75W gear oil. Best of luck, and have fun in Utah.

Old 03-31-2018, 06:05 AM
Trailblazer

It brings up the question of why belray recommends it as a substitute. I wonder if anyone has had trouble using it.

Old 03-31-2018, 09:04 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by bmiller59
It brings up the question of why belray recommends it as a substitute. I wonder if anyone has had trouble using it.
They may have be thinking about the hub activated awd system on their fluid recommendation.That info may not be up to date. Then their fluid would be fine for the front diffs with just the ring and pinion gear. If in doubt on any fluid use what the manufacturer recommends. Then you can have plenty of time to research what really can be used as a substitute if you wish.

Old 03-31-2018, 09:58 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
They may have be thinking about the hub activated awd system on their fluid recommendation.That info may not be up to date. Then their fluid would be fine for the front diffs with just the ring and pinion gear. If in doubt on any fluid use what the manufacturer recommends. Then you can have plenty of time to research what really can be used as a substitute if you wish.
I need to learn more about my machine. How is the 4wheel drive activated? 2015 570 sportsman

Old 03-31-2018, 10:44 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Same as the hub activated machines but the hilliard(that locks the drive shafts) is in the front diff versus the two outboard ones on the older machines. They also used Demand Drive fluid in the hubs,80/90 or Angle Drive fluid in the diff. Rear wheels have to slip,usually about an 1/8 turn, this "over clocks" or causes the the prop shaft from the transmission to the the front diff to spin faster. This causes the hilliard to lock into the output shafts which locks the drive shafts in. The front wheels will kick out once the rear tires regain traction. He's a good demonstration on how it works.

Quick Reply: Fluid equivalents? Instead of branded lubricants.