Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

He broke it!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 01:25 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
That's way beyond vise grips, hammer, and duct tape. Good luck.
Don't forget zip ties too.

Old 03-12-2018, 03:56 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by greg74
Don't forget zip ties too.
. . . or the bubble gum and bailing wire.

Old 03-13-2018, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by jumbofrank
That's when you need an ax and lots of strong wire or rope. Just cut a couple of limbs off a tree, and make a travois type of arrangement to keep the back end off the ground. Then let the front wheels drag you home. Native American Travois (Indian Drag Sleds for Dogs and Horses)

Decades ago my younger brother broke a ski in half on his snowmobile and did an endo when the back half of the ski dug in. He was okay but we both thought we were screwed. Fortunately my dad had a hatchet and black rebar wire in his snowmobile, that he used to make tree branch splints on both sides of the broken ski. My brother hung off the other side of the snowmobile and rode it all the way back to the cabin that way.

Rebar tie wire is annealed to be be softer than regular wire. You can twist it and twist without breaking like other wires, but it does has it's limits. I carry some in the glove box of my truck and gave my friend some to carry in his ATV, which he used one time when I wasn't with him. He used a bunch to hold together another ATV with a broken tie rod, at least I think it was a tie rod that broke. Whatever it was that broke, our other friend was able to limp it back to camp, but they had to use all the wire to do it. No problem. I have a roll in my basement I used to restock them with. I bought hundreds of feet of it.
We've had good luck with Gorilla duct tape and zip ties. We were able to limp two quads back to town after two separate breaks. One was a tie rod end on Specta's old Honda and the other was after I had an accident with the rental machine.