Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris AWD problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 05:22 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe you are correct, I was able to get the machine out of 4x4 and the shaft did not turn when the front wheels were turned by hand, now I've got to figure out how to get the sprague back to the neutral position, seems just moving the switch won't do it

Old 05-25-2018, 08:52 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Similar problem

i put in new aluminum cage and put in new oil but my front wheels lock up even with it not plugged in,i am stuck on this one

Old 05-25-2018, 09:40 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hi Mustangpaul, I don't know if this will help, I'm having a similar problem and am now leaning towards my armature plate being magnetized and not fully releasing even when the switch is in 2wd mode, also I have seen on the internet where the spacer plate that's the one that has five approx 1/8" holes around the perimeter needs to be removed when replacing the carrier assembly. I'm also going to tap on the inner race on both internal bearings that are pressed on the left and right hub to ensure that they are seated against the shoulders of their respective hubs. When complete I'll post the results.

Old 05-25-2018, 09:56 AM
Weekend Warrior

Yes I took off the spacer and same thing,then also tried it with it on no difference,but I never tried the bearing issue and im not sure which way your talking about when hitting a bearing, im mind boggled on this differential, i have been at it for 3 days trying things,

Old 05-25-2018, 10:48 AM
Weekend Warrior

There are two hubs, these are the parts that your axles spline into that you have to pry out when you remove the differential, there is a ball bearing on each hub this is what I was referring to there is an inner race that is pressed tight on the shaft, this is what I will drive against with a punch and hammer, a press would be a better option but I don't have one, a word of caution don't hammer on the outer race as the ball bearings within will be taking all the shock. you might check your armature plate for any kind of magnetism with say a paperclip I don't know how much is too much I guess the thought is that any voluntary interaction that the armature plate may have will keep the machine partially engaged in 4x4. As stated in an earlier post, in 4x4 I can ease the machine up to a tree with one wheel and it will climb right up the tree just as Polaris claims it should, then switch to 2x4 and ease up to the tree just the rear wheels everything works as it should, take it for a test ride and the front end is fighting me like the front drive hasn't disengaged fully, don't know if this is similar or not to your issue Mustangpaul, I'm still looking to............

Old 05-25-2018, 10:58 AM
Weekend Warrior

Are you actually hitting the bearing with the ball bearings or the bigger one close to where the 2 hibs meet in the middle

Old 05-25-2018, 10:59 AM
Weekend Warrior

Can you send a picture so i can do the same thing

Old 05-25-2018, 11:04 AM
Weekend Warrior

Mustangpaul, In response the smaller outer ball bearing is what I'm driving, I believe the inner bearing you are referring to is the Sprague carrier that you have just replaced with Aluminum, don't tap on that one. Does that answer your ?

Old 05-25-2018, 11:09 AM
Weekend Warrior

Mustangpaul, I don't know how to post picture yet, if you want to call me I'll be around the phone for a few more minutes (208) 476 4055 I hope this is permitted as per forum rules

Old 05-25-2018, 11:32 AM
Weekend Warrior

Ok your hitting the outer small ball bearing one,your hitting it towards the cetre of the hub are you.also when your hitting it does it stop on something so it cant go no farther on the shaft

Quick Reply: Polaris AWD problem