Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2006 Polaris scrambler 500 shifting problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 10:33 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First of all I'm assuming it's not revving up too high.

I don't think the Scrambler 500 came with EBS like the Sportsman 500, but if not, it was something that could be added on. If you're not the original owner it could have an EBS clutch system or a non-EBS system. If it does have EBS, and it's the EBS bushing and the bushing next to it causing problems, you can buy replacement parts for it. I think the only way to check the bushings for wear is to pull the primary clutch off and look at the them, but I'm no expert.

The other thing that comes to mind is if your belt alignment is off it can make the secondary spin even at idle. The belt should be centered between the sheaves and not rubbing on one side. If it's rubbing on one side of the secondary you can pull the clutch off and shim it in or out a little bit to center it. If the belt is centered and not too tight the secondary shouldn't spin.

EBS and non-EBS clutches use different belts. If you're sure you have the right one, and your belt is centered but it's too tight, you have another problem and need to check your motor mounts. You can check that later, if the above doesn't help.

Old 06-15-2018, 12:52 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

No I had brain fart thinking of my sportsman and there is no ebs bushing on the scrambler(I had one you think I would remember that lol) anyways another issue they had is the engine mounts would break and throw the (as mentioned) clutches out of alignment causing this. very important not to have the idle up too high as the clutch spring will engage causing issue you have. I think around 750 rpms is where it should be. sorry for the confusion before

Old 06-15-2018, 06:36 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks a lot for the help! The clutch moves in a little as soon as I start it and starts spinning the transmission. The belt looks in line and everything is original Polaris parts. The scrambler is a 2006.