Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Changing all the fluids on a well used 1995 magnum 425 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2018, 10:15 AM
Mij
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing all the fluids on a well used 1995 magnum 425 4x4

Okay folks I need some help here I am brand new to ATVs and I just bought a well-used 425 Magnum Polaris 4 x 4 the year is 1995.
I want to change all of the fluids but I am not sure of how many fluids there are and where they are located on the machine and what I am allowed to use to replace them with. I have read about 20 online posts and watched about five videos. Some of it makes total sense while a lot of it conflicts one another. Could somebody who is very knowledgeable in this area make me a simple reply here and tell me what are the fluids to change, what fluid I can use to replace them with, and their General location 4 drain plugs on the machine.
the videos have educated me that I can use 0-40 too quarts for the engine and I have the old filter number on the machine so I'm all set on the oil for the engine. And I believe the drain plug is on the tank to the left of the filter just behind the passenger side front wheel. The two front wheels use some kind of fluid in them and I know to fill it at 4 o'clock position. But I'm not sure what fluid to use Polaris has so many and some people say to use ATF? I think I found the transmission dipstick and probably has a drain underneath it on the driver's right side by the foot stand. I don't know what to use for fluid in the transmission I saw online conflicting reports some say use engine oil others say some other kind of chain case fluid. The other question I have is that is there a front transmission or differential in the center like under the headlight area and if so what fluid do I use in that? I understand that I can just use regular antifreeze. But before I do that antifreeze I have to figure out why the fan doesn't turn on. Thanks for your help in advance guys I had a Polaris snowmobile before but this is a different Beast.-Jim

Old 07-30-2018, 02:56 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you should buy or down load a service or owners manual to help you on what to change and locations. use full syn. oil. you can buy a oil changing kit if that helps. don't forget to change the hub oil in front hubs and MAKE SURE to use the correct oil or your awd will not work.

Old 07-31-2018, 06:34 PM
Mij
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Work in progress....

Thx for the service manual suggestion.

so i did the drain and fill front hubs at 4 o clock position with ATF type F. The only problem was one Hub had about five drops of a black fluid in it I'm guessing old ATF. And the other Hub had one drop in it. So I am pretty scared of what condition they are in. I will find out when I take it for a ride in about 2 weeks.
the radiator fan switch was not functioning so I ordered a new one online it should be here before the weekend the fan worked when directly powered.
I drained and filled the transmission with full synthetic 5w 50 as suggested by some members on the internet. When I drained the transmission a brown mud like fluid came out of it but there was a lot of fluid in it.
I still have to grease all the fittings and the chain seems a little loose. And I actually have not changed the oil and filter for the engine yet but I have 2 quarts of zero w40 and a new purolator filter for it.
anything else I should check before I take it on its first 4 hour ride?